Trashed Log File

Post by Jon Robertso » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

On one of our SQL Server 7 databases, the log file has been lost
(trashed).  But the data MDF file is ok.

Is there anyway to create an empty log file for the database?

Thanks,

Jon Robertson

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Trashed Log File

Post by Kalen Delane » Thu, 19 Oct 2000 04:00:00

In some cases, sp_attach_db will build a new log file, if the database was
cleanly shut down before the log file was lost.
Give it a try... the details are in the Books Online.

HTH

--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP

Quote:> On one of our SQL Server 7 databases, the log file has been lost
> (trashed).  But the data MDF file is ok.

> Is there anyway to create an empty log file for the database?

> Thanks,

> Jon Robertson

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Trashing the Log file on Windows NT

I am using INGRES 6.4/05 on Windows NT 3.5. I have noticed that failing to shut
down the INGRES server correctly (or at all!) before power-down
invariably trashes the log file so that it has to be re-built.

This isn't the same behaviour as on UNIX boxes where INGRES (in my experience
anyway) is very resilient to being cut off unexpectedly.

Before anyone tells me - I do know about running INGRES as a service etc.
recently I have been reconfiguring my NT box because of a new hard disk so
this behaviour has come to light. It's not my configuring the box that is
the trouble. Start INGRES (not as a service) and shutdown your NT system.
The next stage will involve having to create a new log file!

Any ideas/comments?

One day an NT system might lose it's power. I reckon it also means goodbye
log (and all that means) as well.

Paul Andrews.

2. Help: Oracle JDBC problem

3. Hey! You copied the trash that copied the trash that had the trash about

4. Sybase 10 and 11

5. Two LOG File - how can I delete the 2nd log file

6. Multiprotocol encryption

7. logging reads to the transaction log file

8. How to run SQL Server after change the Server name?

9. Message Logging into Package log file

10. Physical restore failed - Bad log file configuration for log 1

11. Table v$log and archived log files ?

12. Log Shipping - specifying NIC card to use when sending transaction log files

13. transaction log fills every 30 days log file size is 500MB is this normal