Linked Server - Read only

Post by Bhura_Sa » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 07:13:04

Hi,

I have couple of questions, can you please help me?

1.  Is there a way that I can create a linked server Read Only? - To prevent
user from Update, or delete.
Or hacker destroying.

2.  Is there a way that I can create a linked server to a specific database?

Or If you can kindly pass your opinion on how should I do in a case of,

Our client want to see a data instantly as our customer rep. update in the
internal system.  Client will see the data on the web pages after customer
rep. updated it.  We have to sql server, Internal, and External.  External
connected to web server, Internal is not.  Internal and External talk to
each other.  That's why I created linked.  But then I feel worry, if someone
beak into our site.  I will appreciate if you pass opinion.

Thank you

Linked Server - Read only

Post by Tibor Karasz » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:27:45

I can't see a way of accomplishing what you want. Except working with the login mapping to the
other system (making sure that the login at the remote server don't have the "dangerous"
permissions.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Hi,

> I have couple of questions, can you please help me?

> 1.  Is there a way that I can create a linked server Read Only? - To prevent
> user from Update, or delete.
> Or hacker destroying.

> 2.  Is there a way that I can create a linked server to a specific database?

> Or If you can kindly pass your opinion on how should I do in a case of,

> Our client want to see a data instantly as our customer rep. update in the
> internal system.  Client will see the data on the web pages after customer
> rep. updated it.  We have to sql server, Internal, and External.  External
> connected to web server, Internal is not.  Internal and External talk to
> each other.  That's why I created linked.  But then I feel worry, if someone
> beak into our site.  I will appreciate if you pass opinion.

> Thank you

1. Read only tables after linking Access-SQL Server

I want to link SQL Server tables to an Access mdb.
Everything is OK when I link thru Access Get External Data
function using a DSN.
When I do this thru ADOX, all my tables are "read only"
(even when opening in Access).
How can I solve this problem.
Here my code :

Set db = New ADOX.Catalog
db.ActiveConnection = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data
Source=Server & ";Initial Catalog=" & f & ";User
Id=sa;Password=;"
ODBCString = "ODBC;DSN=eBooks"
For Each tdf In db.Tables
  If tdf.Type = "TABLE" _
    Set Thistdf = New ADOX.Table
    With Thistdf
    .ParentCatalog = DBc
    .Name = tdf.Name
    .Properties("Jet OLEDB:Create Link") = True
    .Properties("Jet OLEDB:Link Provider String") =
ODBCString
    .Properties("Jet OLEDB:Remote Table Name") = tdf.Name
    End With
    DBc.Tables.Append Thistdf
    Set Thistdf = Nothing
  End If
Next tdf

Nota : I tried with a lot of options (trusted connection,
storing password, aso) without any success.

2. HELP "WINDOWS4GL/INGRES

3. Can't read from Linked Server-

4. Scheduled backups not happening.

5. Problems reading Linked Oracle Server

6. How do I export to DBF from Visual Basic?

7. Nt or 95, why is NT faster, How to speed up 95

8. Client Access ODBC linked server - can read not write

9. Linked server can not read mapped drive for ODBC

10. Reading Identity from Linked Server

11. Can't read from Linked Server table

12. ADOX.Append Creates a Read-Only Linked Table to SQL Server 7.0