multiple subscriptions, only the last created works (merge replication)

multiple subscriptions, only the last created works (merge replication)

Post by Matthieu Imber » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 19:10:14

Hi

i have a problem with merge replications between two MSDE (sql 7):
i create 2 or more publications (of the same base, but with different
filters) on one MSDE.
i create 2 or more subscriptions on the other MSDE, each having its own
replicated base.
Only the lastly created subscription works. the other ones are said to be
"not started" and if i try to start them, i get
"error 14262: The specified job (GUID of the job) does not exist."
(to start them, i go in the subscriptions tree branch of the subscriber)

i tested this both without service packs and with service pack 4 on both
msde.
the publisher msde runs under win 2000 pro
i tested the subscriber both under win 98 SE and win 2000 pro
i use the sql server 2000 client tools (query analyser and entreprise
manager)
some of the software is in French, some is in english

thanks in advance if anyone can explain this or give a solution

Matthieu
to mail me, remove the NOSPAM in my mail address

multiple subscriptions, only the last created works (merge replication)

Post by Matthieu Imber » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:07:15

Hello
i think i found the cause of my problem, and it was quite tricky ;-)

It seems it comes from fusion agent job names beeing able, in certain
circumstances, to collide.

It seems that the fusion agent job names are generated from the
concatenation of the publication's name, the subsciption's name, and perhaps
the replication database name (but only the first 23 characters of these
names. the agent's name is something like 91 characters long).

in my tests:
- the publisher's database name were "test_filtre_rplication_1" and
"'test_filtre_rplication_2"
- the publications' names were "test_filtre_rplication_1_1" and
"test_filtre_rplication_2_1"
- the subscription's databases' names were "test_filtre_rplication_1_1" and
"test_filtre_rplication_2_1"

i found the following warning message in the SqlServerAgent log (flowerpower
is the name of the publisher's computer):

[180] Le travail
FLOWERPOWER-test_filtre_replication-test_filtre_replication-TEST-test_filtre
_replication- 0 a t supprim en cours d'excution : Le rsultat produit
est (Inconnu)
(translation: the job
FLOWERPOWER-test_filtre_replication-test_filtre_replication-TEST-test_filtre
_replication- 0 was deleted while it was running. result unknown)

then i changed the name of the second subscription's database to x and for
the first time the two subscriptions were running without problems

Quote:> Hi