ever gonna be easy way to put a database to a server?

ever gonna be easy way to put a database to a server?

Post by Eric Newto » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 05:54:55

like MS access, you can have an MDB file that can be used by simply
specifying in the connection string where to find the file and the JET db
engine can get it.

it would be nice to have a similar situation where (maybe minus the
flexibility of putting the db file wherever you wanted) you could put the
database and transaction log files into a certain directory on a SQL server
or MSDE installation and have the database be instantly available.  AND
address the issue of sysuser SID's not matching up in the msdb table [which
is an issue I think is a little absurd]

here's what i'm thinking:
1. grab any of the .mdf and .ldf database files required for operation
2. move them to the production sql server's databases directory.  (obviously
user A shouldnt be able to kill user B's databases, if multiple users can
use the server, this could be addressed with ACL's)
3. simply reference the main mdf file: "use databaseA".  the use operation
can bring the database online and let SQL server read any meta data it needs
to be able to bring the database online, fully secured and such.
4. the database context is established [or fails because security couldn't
mesh]
5. sql server carries on like normal

I'm making this assertion in the sprit of .Net programming: xcopy
deployment.  For instance, being able to "copy the database" onto the
hosting provider's sql server would bring SQL server's ease into the
territory of Access and MYSQL.

would that be great?

--
E. Newton
http://ensoft.funkengruuven.com

VB/C#.Net/SQL developer

ever gonna be easy way to put a database to a server?

Post by Greg Linwoo » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:00:29

Hi Eric.

Presently, you don't even need to copy the .ldf file. You just copy the .mdf
file, issue the sp_attach_db command and SQL Server will load the .mdf. Is
this easy enough for your requirements?

HTH

Regards,
Greg Linwood

> like MS access, you can have an MDB file that can be used by simply
> specifying in the connection string where to find the file and the JET db
> engine can get it.

> it would be nice to have a similar situation where (maybe minus the
> flexibility of putting the db file wherever you wanted) you could put the
> database and transaction log files into a certain directory on a SQL
server
> or MSDE installation and have the database be instantly available.  AND
> address the issue of sysuser SID's not matching up in the msdb table
[which
> is an issue I think is a little absurd]

> here's what i'm thinking:
> 1. grab any of the .mdf and .ldf database files required for operation
> 2. move them to the production sql server's databases directory.
(obviously
> user A shouldnt be able to kill user B's databases, if multiple users can
> use the server, this could be addressed with ACL's)
> 3. simply reference the main mdf file: "use databaseA".  the use operation
> can bring the database online and let SQL server read any meta data it
needs
> to be able to bring the database online, fully secured and such.
> 4. the database context is established [or fails because security couldn't
> mesh]
> 5. sql server carries on like normal

> I'm making this assertion in the sprit of .Net programming: xcopy
> deployment.  For instance, being able to "copy the database" onto the
> hosting provider's sql server would bring SQL server's ease into the
> territory of Access and MYSQL.

> would that be great?

> --
> E. Newton
> http://ensoft.funkengruuven.com

> VB/C#.Net/SQL developer

ever gonna be easy way to put a database to a server?

Post by Tibor Karasz » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:00:35

Eric,

I can understand where you are coming from. As you understand, the architecture of today makes
this a bit difficult (how would SQL Server find the file in the first place when you do USE,

them to move towards that direction! (Assuming that security etc won't be in jeopardy, of
course.)

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
For help on TSQL, please provide code we can execute in Query Analyzer

> like MS access, you can have an MDB file that can be used by simply
> specifying in the connection string where to find the file and the JET db
> engine can get it.

> it would be nice to have a similar situation where (maybe minus the
> flexibility of putting the db file wherever you wanted) you could put the
> database and transaction log files into a certain directory on a SQL server
> or MSDE installation and have the database be instantly available.  AND
> address the issue of sysuser SID's not matching up in the msdb table [which
> is an issue I think is a little absurd]

> here's what i'm thinking:
> 1. grab any of the .mdf and .ldf database files required for operation
> 2. move them to the production sql server's databases directory.  (obviously
> user A shouldnt be able to kill user B's databases, if multiple users can
> use the server, this could be addressed with ACL's)
> 3. simply reference the main mdf file: "use databaseA".  the use operation
> can bring the database online and let SQL server read any meta data it needs
> to be able to bring the database online, fully secured and such.
> 4. the database context is established [or fails because security couldn't
> mesh]
> 5. sql server carries on like normal

> I'm making this assertion in the sprit of .Net programming: xcopy
> deployment.  For instance, being able to "copy the database" onto the
> hosting provider's sql server would bring SQL server's ease into the
> territory of Access and MYSQL.

> would that be great?

> --
> E. Newton
> http://ensoft.funkengruuven.com

> VB/C#.Net/SQL developer

ever gonna be easy way to put a database to a server?

Post by Bob Castlema » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 06:32:53

Doesn't this discard the whole idea of roles, logins, users, etc? What about
those who set object level permissions? It just seems to me that the current
architecture is what we have to put up with the make sure things are secure.

Bob

> like MS access, you can have an MDB file that can be used by simply
> specifying in the connection string where to find the file and the JET db
> engine can get it.

> it would be nice to have a similar situation where (maybe minus the
> flexibility of putting the db file wherever you wanted) you could put the
> database and transaction log files into a certain directory on a SQL
server
> or MSDE installation and have the database be instantly available.  AND
> address the issue of sysuser SID's not matching up in the msdb table
[which
> is an issue I think is a little absurd]

> here's what i'm thinking:
> 1. grab any of the .mdf and .ldf database files required for operation
> 2. move them to the production sql server's databases directory.
(obviously
> user A shouldnt be able to kill user B's databases, if multiple users can
> use the server, this could be addressed with ACL's)
> 3. simply reference the main mdf file: "use databaseA".  the use operation
> can bring the database online and let SQL server read any meta data it
needs
> to be able to bring the database online, fully secured and such.
> 4. the database context is established [or fails because security couldn't
> mesh]
> 5. sql server carries on like normal

> I'm making this assertion in the sprit of .Net programming: xcopy
> deployment.  For instance, being able to "copy the database" onto the
> hosting provider's sql server would bring SQL server's ease into the
> territory of Access and MYSQL.

> would that be great?

> --
> E. Newton
> http://ensoft.funkengruuven.com

> VB/C#.Net/SQL developer

ever gonna be easy way to put a database to a server?

Post by Eric Newto » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:21:27

Tibor:

sweet! you pointed me into a good direction to try to get a good idea added.
thanks, man!

--
E. Newton
http://ensoft.funkengruuven.com

VB/C#.Net/SQL developer

Quote:> Eric,

> I can understand where you are coming from. As you understand, the

architecture of today makes
Quote:> this a bit difficult (how would SQL Server find the file in the first

place when you do USE,
Quote:> users-logins etc). But who knows, submitting an email to

> them to move towards that direction! (Assuming that security etc won't be
in jeopardy, of
> course.)

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> For help on TSQL, please provide code we can execute in Query Analyzer

> > like MS access, you can have an MDB file that can be used by simply
> > specifying in the connection string where to find the file and the JET
db
> > engine can get it.

> > it would be nice to have a similar situation where (maybe minus the
> > flexibility of putting the db file wherever you wanted) you could put
the
> > database and transaction log files into a certain directory on a SQL
server
> > or MSDE installation and have the database be instantly available.  AND
> > address the issue of sysuser SID's not matching up in the msdb table
[which
> > is an issue I think is a little absurd]

> > here's what i'm thinking:
> > 1. grab any of the .mdf and .ldf database files required for operation
> > 2. move them to the production sql server's databases directory.
(obviously
> > user A shouldnt be able to kill user B's databases, if multiple users
can
> > use the server, this could be addressed with ACL's)
> > 3. simply reference the main mdf file: "use databaseA".  the use
operation
> > can bring the database online and let SQL server read any meta data it
needs
> > to be able to bring the database online, fully secured and such.
> > 4. the database context is established [or fails because security
couldn't
> > mesh]
> > 5. sql server carries on like normal

> > I'm making this assertion in the sprit of .Net programming: xcopy
> > deployment.  For instance, being able to "copy the database" onto the
> > hosting provider's sql server would bring SQL server's ease into the
> > territory of Access and MYSQL.

> > would that be great?

> > --
> > E. Newton
> > http://ensoft.funkengruuven.com

> > VB/C#.Net/SQL developer

ever gonna be easy way to put a database to a server?

Post by Eric Newto » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:24:13

Bob,

In theory each database would have its own set of users and object level
permissions, which is actually the way it works now, with one change of
workflow:

Currently, SQL server only validates against the master.sysusers table.
This could change.  Since most connection strings specify both database and
uid, SQL server could simply load the appropriate database [if its not
already] and then auth against the specified database's sysusers table.

I've thought about the security issue, and I haven't found a problem with
this type of system yet.

--
E. Newton
http://ensoft.funkengruuven.com

VB/C#.Net/SQL developer

> Doesn't this discard the whole idea of roles, logins, users, etc? What
about
> those who set object level permissions? It just seems to me that the
current
> architecture is what we have to put up with the make sure things are
secure.

> Bob

> > like MS access, you can have an MDB file that can be used by simply
> > specifying in the connection string where to find the file and the JET
db
> > engine can get it.

> > it would be nice to have a similar situation where (maybe minus the
> > flexibility of putting the db file wherever you wanted) you could put
the
> > database and transaction log files into a certain directory on a SQL
> server
> > or MSDE installation and have the database be instantly available.  AND
> > address the issue of sysuser SID's not matching up in the msdb table
> [which
> > is an issue I think is a little absurd]

> > here's what i'm thinking:
> > 1. grab any of the .mdf and .ldf database files required for operation
> > 2. move them to the production sql server's databases directory.
> (obviously
> > user A shouldnt be able to kill user B's databases, if multiple users
can
> > use the server, this could be addressed with ACL's)
> > 3. simply reference the main mdf file: "use databaseA".  the use
operation
> > can bring the database online and let SQL server read any meta data it
> needs
> > to be able to bring the database online, fully secured and such.
> > 4. the database context is established [or fails because security
couldn't
> > mesh]
> > 5. sql server carries on like normal

> > I'm making this assertion in the sprit of .Net programming: xcopy
> > deployment.  For instance, being able to "copy the database" onto the
> > hosting provider's sql server would bring SQL server's ease into the
> > territory of Access and MYSQL.

> > would that be great?

> > --
> > E. Newton
> > http://ensoft.funkengruuven.com

> > VB/C#.Net/SQL developer

1. Has anyone ever replicated Vertically 2 ways?

I have a table to be replicated with most columns "belonging" to the
publisher; however I would like some of the columns to "belong" to the
subscriber.  So for the same table some columns would be published by Server
A but all  columns by Server B.  Does this sound possible to anyone?
For example
Server Pub ----------------- Server  Sub
Table A                            Table A
PKey           ----------------->  PKey
ColumnA    -----------------> ColumnA
ColumnB    -----------------> ColumnB
ColumnC    <---------------- ColumnC

Here's to hoping,

2. Liu An - Urgent Sql 70 sp4 Still hangs on MDAC

3. What is easiest way to put Access database to web, is it ASP+SQL+Javascript

4. Moving SQLServer

5. CGI and ISAPI easier than ever ...

6. OH-Ohio-94071--MS SQL Server-ORACLE-Informix-Database Design Consultant

7. Ways to access Paradox-database from SQL server?

8. How to get ADO 2.0 SQLOLEDB provider for SQL SERVER 6.5

9. Replicating (two ways) from 60+ Servers to a Central Server using SQL Server 2000

10. Oracle8 for SCO : Does it use shared libs - am going to put on Linux

11. Easy to see, hard to put in SQL

12. Anyone ever used MS SQL Server with large databases

13. Prolly easy question: putting values in listbox