Sql server 2000 dev on Windows 2003 Web Edition

Sql server 2000 dev on Windows 2003 Web Edition

Post by Arman Oganesia » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 03:07:12

Is it possible to install dev or standard edition of
sql server on  Windows Server 2003 Web Edition?
I tried several times and setup just stop(shut itself down
after I selected "Install Database Server" option on the
first screen of setup) without any messages(It worked fine
on Standard Edition of Win Server 2003)
I was hoping to use Win Server 2003 Web Edition as a good
Development platform instead of XP witch feels like a toy
I even install MSDE on the web edition and tried to install
only client tools(which would be ok too)with no lack at all
Thanks,
Arman

Sql server 2000 dev on Windows 2003 Web Edition

Post by Andrew Nickli » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 05:15:57

I tried the same thing, with the same problem. If you run
the setupsql.exe from the x86/setup folder (which is what
the demoshield installer ultimately launches, it pops up
an error message saying, "Windows cannot open this program
since it has been disabled".

I haven't tried SQL2000a, or found a full installation of
SQL Server 2000 with service pack 3 pre-installed.

-Andrew

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Is it possible to install dev or standard edition of
>sql server on  Windows Server 2003 Web Edition?
>I tried several times and setup just stop(shut itself
down
>after I selected "Install Database Server" option on the
>first screen of setup) without any messages(It worked
fine
>on Standard Edition of Win Server 2003)
>I was hoping to use Win Server 2003 Web Edition as a good
>Development platform instead of XP witch feels like a toy
>I even install MSDE on the web edition and tried to
install
>only client tools(which would be ok too)with no lack at
all
>Thanks,
>Arman

>.

Sql server 2000 dev on Windows 2003 Web Edition

Post by Jasper Smit » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 07:17:06

You can only install MDSE 2000 on Win2003 Web Edition
This is a limitation of the Web Edition.

--
HTH

Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org

Quote:> I tried the same thing, with the same problem. If you run
> the setupsql.exe from the x86/setup folder (which is what
> the demoshield installer ultimately launches, it pops up
> an error message saying, "Windows cannot open this program
> since it has been disabled".

> I haven't tried SQL2000a, or found a full installation of
> SQL Server 2000 with service pack 3 pre-installed.

> -Andrew

1. Install SQL Server 2000 on Windows Server 2003 WEb Edition

Hi,
I am a web developer and i have been given the task to
test the new Windows Server 2003 RC2 Web Edition to be
used within out corporation. One of tests is to use SQL
server on that platform.
My question is: Can that be done?
I have tried to install every version of SQL server 2000,
but the installation wizard fails to start up. Are there
any way to solve this?

Thanks for any replies.

/Roger

2. Update stored procedure

3. Installing MS SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2003 Web Edition RTM

4. OWA Utilities and Web Server?

5. sql server 2000 and windows 2003 web edition

6. 5 Sybase DB Architects & Administrators NY

7. Can I install SQL 2000 on Windows 2003 Web edition

8. Searching for email addresses

9. Problems installing SQL Server 2000 on Win 2003 (Web Edition)

10. SQL/MSDE admin on Windows 2003 Server - Web edition

11. JDBC connection to MSDE on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition - PROBLEM

12. Installing SQL2K in Windows Server 2003 (Web Edition)

13. Windows Server 2003, Web Edition