SQL Mail Starts but does not send mail, unless Outlook is open manually

SQL Mail Starts but does not send mail, unless Outlook is open manually

Post by Nooruddin Parach » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi there,

Does anyone know a possible solution for this prob,
The prob is I've configured SQL Server 7.0 with Outlook 98 client for SQL
Mail.  Yes I followed the procedure defined by Microsoft for setting up a
user account for SQL Serve and SQL_Exec and create for that user Outlook
account and configure it. Everything works great.
xp_sendmail works (Even you logout), but all the emails are stored in outbox
of Outlook

Outlook is configured to send outgoing mails immidiately and check for new
ones every minute. But it never flushes the outbox mail, unless you logged
into the Server with the account for SQLExec and open Outlook98, then it
starts sending all that mail from outbox.

So, is there any solution to make it totally automated w/o having to logged
into the system and having Outlook open.
(i.e what if you logout, but your server still running)

Any help will be greatly appreciated

SQL Mail Starts but does not send mail, unless Outlook is open manually

Post by Ted Malon » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi;

Do you have a Personal Folder configured for your SQLMAIL outlook profile???

If so, that is most likely the problem. If you are using Exchange server,
just use the server folders and remove the personal folders. If you do not
have Exchange, then you'll need to do a little more work to ensure the mail
is sent.

Take a look at Q118501 (I know it's related to SQL6 but it has good info
anyway) at support.microsoft.com for more information...

Hope this helps...

Ted

Quote:> Hi there,

> Does anyone know a possible solution for this prob,
> The prob is I've configured SQL Server 7.0 with Outlook 98 client for SQL
> Mail.  Yes I followed the procedure defined by Microsoft for setting up a
> user account for SQL Serve and SQL_Exec and create for that user Outlook
> account and configure it. Everything works great.
> xp_sendmail works (Even you logout), but all the emails are stored in
outbox
> of Outlook

> Outlook is configured to send outgoing mails immidiately and check for new
> ones every minute. But it never flushes the outbox mail, unless you logged
> into the Server with the account for SQLExec and open Outlook98, then it
> starts sending all that mail from outbox.

> So, is there any solution to make it totally automated w/o having to
logged
> into the system and having Outlook open.
> (i.e what if you logout, but your server still running)

> Any help will be greatly appreciated

SQL Mail Starts but does not send mail, unless Outlook is open manually

Post by Nooruddin Parach » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thankx a bunch for answering the issue

Guess what microsoft have for a remedy

WORKAROUND
The following can be used as workarounds for situation number one mentioned
earlier:

  a.. Stop and restart SQLMail after a user has logged off the Windows NT
computer.

  b.. Use a password-protected screen saver so that you do not have to log
on and off of the server.

Is not that stupid or what, to run a screen saver on your server and keep
login

> Hi;

> Do you have a Personal Folder configured for your SQLMAIL outlook
profile???

> If so, that is most likely the problem. If you are using Exchange server,
> just use the server folders and remove the personal folders. If you do not
> have Exchange, then you'll need to do a little more work to ensure the
mail
> is sent.

> Take a look at Q118501 (I know it's related to SQL6 but it has good info
> anyway) at support.microsoft.com for more information...

> Hope this helps...

> Ted

> > Hi there,

> > Does anyone know a possible solution for this prob,
> > The prob is I've configured SQL Server 7.0 with Outlook 98 client for
SQL
> > Mail.  Yes I followed the procedure defined by Microsoft for setting up
> > user account for SQL Serve and SQL_Exec and create for that user Outlook
> > account and configure it. Everything works great.
> > xp_sendmail works (Even you logout), but all the emails are stored in
> outbox
> > of Outlook

> > Outlook is configured to send outgoing mails immidiately and check for
new
> > ones every minute. But it never flushes the outbox mail, unless you
logged
> > into the Server with the account for SQLExec and open Outlook98, then it
> > starts sending all that mail from outbox.

> > So, is there any solution to make it totally automated w/o having to
> logged
> > into the system and having Outlook open.
> > (i.e what if you logout, but your server still running)

> > Any help will be greatly appreciated

SQL Mail Starts but does not send mail, unless Outlook is open manually

Post by Mark Nguye » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Nooruddin,
I had this problem a while back.  Check to make sure if you have the 824k
mapi32.dll (10/21/98).  If you do, you should try completly unistalling
Outlook 98 and and reinstalling it, make sure you have the 824 mapi32.dll
file and then complete the mail configuration.  If you want instructions on
how to use the Windows Exchange client, I can send them to you.

HTH

>Hi there,

>Does anyone know a possible solution for this prob,
>The prob is I've configured SQL Server 7.0 with Outlook 98 client for SQL
>Mail.  Yes I followed the procedure defined by Microsoft for setting up a
>user account for SQL Serve and SQL_Exec and create for that user Outlook
>account and configure it. Everything works great.
>xp_sendmail works (Even you logout), but all the emails are stored in
outbox
>of Outlook

>Outlook is configured to send outgoing mails immidiately and check for new
>ones every minute. But it never flushes the outbox mail, unless you logged
>into the Server with the account for SQLExec and open Outlook98, then it
>starts sending all that mail from outbox.

>So, is there any solution to make it totally automated w/o having to logged
>into the system and having Outlook open.
>(i.e what if you logout, but your server still running)

>Any help will be greatly appreciated

1. SQL Mail test fails with MAPILogonEx error, SQL Mail starts only when Outlook open

nt 4.0, service pack 6
sql server 7.0
outlook 2000

i went through the microsoft article(s) step by step:

-> installed outlook 2000
-> made sure no old mapi32.dll are lingering, only new one is present
-> logged in as domain admin, ie the same user that runs sql server and agent
-> created profile that connects to pop3/smtp server
-> tested the setup via outlook - mail is successfully delivered

i cannot start sql mail UNLESS outlook is opened.  once i open outlook, sql
mail starts up fine,
and i can execute a test call to xp_sendmail - messages go out and arrive at
their destination.
i do, however, have the following two problems:

1. clicking the Test button always fails with "Error 22030: A MAPI
error(error number :273) MapiLogonEx Failed due to
error 273:.."
2. sql mail would not start unless outlook is open.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

--sasha

2. Testing!!!

3. Can't send mail with SQL Mail and Outlook 2002

4. MS SQL-Server 7.0 and Stored Procedures

5. SQL Mail: mail sent but not devlivery

6. HELP!!! Clipper 5.01 TBrowse E

7. database locale information mismatch

8. Send Mail script and Outlook 2000 not working

9. Auto Start Mail Client problem, works fine when started manually

10. Access report to Outlook/ Open Outlook and mail report

11. SQL Mail vs Outlook XP - Cannot be done?

12. Sending Outlook mail from SQL Server