Amount of Memory SQL Server 7 Use?

Post by ??á?è » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi All
I Have a One Question
I Installed SQL Server Standard Edition on My Server That 4GB Memory
But It Was Used Only 1GB Memory
Server Was Slow that I Feel
How Amount of Real Memory Can Handle SQL Server 7?
Did You Know It?
Please Tell To Me

Regard gray

Amount of Memory SQL Server 7 Use?

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 04 Aug 2000 04:00:00

 Standard edition can only use 2GB memory.  EE can use 3GB with the /3GB switch

 > I Have a One Question

Quote:> I Installed SQL Server Standard Edition on My Server That 4GB Memory
> But It Was Used Only 1GB Memory
> Server Was Slow that I Feel
> How Amount of Real Memory Can Handle SQL Server 7?
> Did You Know It?
> Please Tell To Me

> Regard gray

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or    http://www.ntfaq.com/Section.cfm?sectionID=34
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Amount of Memory SQL Server 7 Use?

Post by Ian H » Thu, 10 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
       SQL Server 7 default to dynamically manage the the memory setting by
itself.   Its default setting for min server memory is 0, and the default
setting for max server memory is 2147483647.
       But if you really doubt its functionality (Microsoft claims you
should not),  you may manually configure the memory setting, but you should
be reminded that manual memory assignment causes those assigned memory not
available to other apps or even OS.
     Moreover, the word slow is too abstract, what and where exactly do you
feel the SLOW?  Query? Connection? App Response? Or......?  Find out the
cause and you will find the cure.  I believe that Microsoft always stresses
that SQL 7 memory mgt is reliable,  I doubt it should be other reason for
your SLOW.

Quote:

> Hi All
> I Have a One Question
> I Installed SQL Server Standard Edition on My Server That 4GB Memory
> But It Was Used Only 1GB Memory
> Server Was Slow that I Feel
> How Amount of Real Memory Can Handle SQL Server 7?
> Did You Know It?
> Please Tell To Me

> Regard gray

1. SQL Server 7 Using Large Amount Of Memory

I am running  NT Server with SQL7 Installed on it.  The problem I am facing is
the fact that the SQL Server seems the using large amounts of memory at times
when the SQL Server is not being used.  When the machine starts SQL uses 15 - 20
Mb ram.  If I look at the usage later it has jumped to between 30 - 40 Mb.  This
is true even though there are no current users session. Any idea on how regain
control of the excessive memory.

Sean

2. bad db keys=scsi bus problem?

3. SQL Server 2000 consuming large amounts of Memory

4. Recommend DB for text cards

5. Increasing Amount of Memory in SQL Server 2000 Database

6. CDaoRecordset and Bulk Row Fetching

7. Cold Fusion eats great amount of virtual memory connecting to SQL SERVER 7.0

8. Getting Result Set back from a Callable Statement

9. Maximum amount of memory used for TempDB

10. analysis service uses a large amount of memory

11. sqlsrvr.exe using excessive amount of memory

12. Using large amount of memory

13. Inserting large amount of records in a SQL Server 2000 CE database using eVC++