SQL Desktop managment install problem

Post by Brian Henr » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 04:42:40

If you go to install the SQL Desktop manager on a W2K
system, why would it come back saying you have pending
files open. Please reboot, and when you reboot the setup
says the same thing still? Install wont go forward at all.

Post by Jasper Smit » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 04:57:18

http://www.tkdinesh.com/faq/ans/pendingfiles.html

--
HTH

Jasper Smith (SQL Server MVP)

I support PASS - the definitive, global
community for SQL Server professionals -
http://www.sqlpass.org

Quote:> If you go to install the SQL Desktop manager on a W2K
> system, why would it come back saying you have pending
> files open. Please reboot, and when you reboot the setup
> says the same thing still? Install wont go forward at all.

SQL Desktop managment install problem

Post by David Silv » Fri, 07 Feb 2003 15:01:20

Hello, I am a man who Develop software for a Hospital in
Mexico and I have Visual Basic.Net, Is true that SQL
Desktop if free (No pay money) for my client (The
Hospital) ?

1. SQL Server 7.0 Desktop Install Problem

I am trying to install SQL Server 7.0 Desktop on an NT Workstation 5.0 Beta 2 (5.00.1877) machine.  Installation proceeds to the point where the installation program attempts to start the SQL Server service, then hangs and finally fails with NT error 1053 ("The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"),

cnfgsvr.out only repeats the above information as follows:

    Starting Service ...

    An error occurred while attempting to start the service (1053)

    SQL Server configuration failed.

There are no messages in the System Event log.

The last few lines of sqlstp.log are:
    E:\IBMVJava\eab\bin;%SystemRoot%system32;%SystemRoot%;E:\IMNNQ_NT;e:\mssql7 \BINN;G:\Resource Kit\;G:\Resource Kit\TMC\Shortcut\
    15:34:06 e:\MSSQL7\binn\cnfgsvr.exe  -Silent 2 -NoSampleDB 0 -SQLPath "e:\MSSQL7\" -SQLDataPath "g:\MSSQL7\" -SortID 52 -    LCIDCompStyle "1033-196609" -HWND 131464 -User sa -Pwd
    15:39:19 Process Exit Code: (-1)
    15:39:26 Setup failed to configure the server.   Refer to the server error logs and cnfgsvr.out for more information.
    15:39:26 Action CleanUpInstall:
    15:39:26 D:\Temp\_ISTMP4.DIR\scm.exe  -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service SQLServerAgent
    15:39:27 Process Exit Code: (1060) The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

    15:39:27 D:\Temp\_ISTMP4.DIR\scm.exe  -Silent 1 -Action 4 -Service MSSQLServer

The Service manager indicates that MSSQLServer is "Starting".  Also, sqlserv.exe is a running process.

I thought this might be a permissions issue, but strangely enough install configures the service to run under the localservice acount, even though I specified a Domain SQLService account (we are running two installations of 6.5 with this same account).  If I change the service account and attempt to start the service, I get the same results as outlined above.

In addition to the above problems, the installation program itself hangs and must be stopped with the Task Manager.  Further, unistall does not work ...  it fails with a message that Uninst.isu is missing or corrupt (it isn't missing).

I have tried manually uninstalling (deleting all the system and data files and the relevant entries in HKEY_LM/Software and System/CurrentControlSet/Services) and reinstalling several times ... all with the same result.

Has anyone here any idea how I might proceed with solving this problem?

David L. Borgendale, MCSE
Congruent Technology Solutions, Inc.
100 State Street, Suite 350
Montpelier, VT 05602
(802) 223-5158

2. TEXT data type in MS-Windows

3. Problem Install SQL Desktop on Win98

4. HELP! File I/O for Oracle 7.2....

5. SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine Unattended Install Problems

6. Sending document name-info to NT Spooler from d3???

7. Install SQL 2000 Desktop Engine Problem

8. Pad index

9. Install problem with SQL Desktop version

10. problem re-installing SQL 7.0 desktop edition

11. Problem Install SQL 7 Desktop Edition on Windows 2K Pro

12. SQL 2000 desktop install problem

13. Problem on installing Desktop version on Win98 machine