INsert permissions given, but cannot insert Data

INsert permissions given, but cannot insert Data

Post by BP Margoli » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:17:30



To begin with, INSERT permissions are not given to a "database", but to
database objects ... usually, tables. So I, for one, have no idea of what
you did ... perhaps you did give INSERT permission to a table, but that's
not what you have posted, so it's very difficult to understand exactly what
you did do.

Could you provide a more detailed explanation of exactly what you tried, and
please try to be as precise and as accurate as possible. Since no one here
is able to be looking over your shoulder to see what you see, you need to be
precise and accurate in describing the situation in order for others to
assist you.

-------------------------------------------
BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.


Quote:> I have set the insert permissions for a user for a
> database, but when they go to run an insert, they are
> given an error stating that they dont' have the
> permissions for inserting.  Why?

 
 
 

INsert permissions given, but cannot insert Data

Post by waljusti » Sun, 17 Nov 2002 02:02:19


I have assigned the user SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE,
DRI permissions so that they can execute all these tasks.  
Yet when they try to run an INSERT statement they are
given the message that they don't have permissions to run
an insert command...What would/could cause this to occur?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>To begin with, INSERT permissions are not given to

a "database", but to
Quote:>database objects ... usually, tables. So I, for one, have
no idea of what
>you did ... perhaps you did give INSERT permission to a
table, but that's
>not what you have posted, so it's very difficult to

understand exactly what
Quote:>you did do.

>Could you provide a more detailed explanation of exactly
what you tried, and
>please try to be as precise and as accurate as possible.
Since no one here
>is able to be looking over your shoulder to see what you
see, you need to be
>precise and accurate in describing the situation in order
for others to
>assist you.

>-------------------------------------------
>BP Margolin
>Please reply only to the newsgroups.
>When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ...,

INSERT ..., etc.) which

- Show quoted text -

>can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.



>> I have set the insert permissions for a user for a
>> database, but when they go to run an insert, they are
>> given an error stating that they dont' have the
>> permissions for inserting.  Why?

>.


 
 
 

INsert permissions given, but cannot insert Data

Post by BP Margoli » Mon, 18 Nov 2002 06:05:47


First, I'd suggest that you confirm that permissions have actually been
given ... you should be able to do this fairly easily using Enterprise
Manager ... right-click on a table name, choose the All Tasks option, and
then the Manage Permissions option.

If that appears to be ok, then I'd check that you are actually giving
permissions to the same table being used by your user. One can have
multiple, for example, "waljustia" tables in the same database. For example,
all the following are actually different tables:

dbo.waljustia
waljustia.waljustia
george.waljustia

Granting permissions on one of the above does not confer permissions on the
others.

Lastly, confirm that your user is actually connecting using the login that
you think is being used. It's not going to help if you grant permissions to
a SQL Server login/user, when your user is actually using Windows
Authentication   :-)

-------------------------------------------
BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.
When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.


> I have assigned the user SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE,
> DRI permissions so that they can execute all these tasks.
> Yet when they try to run an INSERT statement they are
> given the message that they don't have permissions to run
> an insert command...What would/could cause this to occur?

> >-----Original Message-----
> >To begin with, INSERT permissions are not given to
> a "database", but to
> >database objects ... usually, tables. So I, for one, have
> no idea of what
> >you did ... perhaps you did give INSERT permission to a
> table, but that's
> >not what you have posted, so it's very difficult to
> understand exactly what
> >you did do.

> >Could you provide a more detailed explanation of exactly
> what you tried, and
> >please try to be as precise and as accurate as possible.
> Since no one here
> >is able to be looking over your shoulder to see what you
> see, you need to be
> >precise and accurate in describing the situation in order
> for others to
> >assist you.

> >-------------------------------------------
> >BP Margolin
> >Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> >When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ...,
> INSERT ..., etc.) which
> >can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.



> >> I have set the insert permissions for a user for a
> >> database, but when they go to run an insert, they are
> >> given an error stating that they dont' have the
> >> permissions for inserting.  Why?

> >.