changing database schema for replicated databases

changing database schema for replicated databases

Post by Bruce Bake » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

I want to setup a db for merge replication. I notice that I cannot change
the table schema (add a column etc) if the table is marked for replication.
How do we do this if a table schema change is required ?

Thanks
Bruce

changing database schema for replicated databases

Post by John Connoll » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Bruce,
  to change the schema, first synchronise the databases, then stop the
replication, make the changes to the publisher and subscibers and then
restart replication.

you could also just stop replication, make the changes to one of the
dbs (publisher), back this up and then restore it to the subscribers
and then restart replication,

Hope this helps

John

Quote:> Hello,

> I want to setup a db for merge replication. I notice that I cannot
change
> the table schema (add a column etc) if the table is marked for
replication.
> How do we do this if a table schema change is required ?

> Thanks
> Bruce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

changing database schema for replicated databases

Post by Charles » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Currently, you need to drop any publications referencing the table. Then
change the table, create the pub's......
The next version of SQL should have the ability to handle this on the fly.

Hope this helps!!
--Charles

Quote:> Hello,

> I want to setup a db for merge replication. I notice that I cannot change
> the table schema (add a column etc) if the table is marked for
replication.
> How do we do this if a table schema change is required ?

> Thanks
> Bruce

changing database schema for replicated databases

Post by John Connoll » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

Charles,
  when is the next nersion of SQL server due for release??

> Currently, you need to drop any publications referencing the table.
Then
> change the table, create the pub's......
> The next version of SQL should have the ability to handle this on the
fly.

> Hope this helps!!
> --Charles

> > Hello,

> > I want to setup a db for merge replication. I notice that I cannot
change
> > the table schema (add a column etc) if the table is marked for
> replication.
> > How do we do this if a table schema change is required ?

> > Thanks
> > Bruce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

changing database schema for replicated databases

Post by Tom Case » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00

SQL Server 2000 Beta 2 is available for download and testing from
http://www.microsoft.com/sql . Incremental propagation of add/drop column
schema changes are supported in this release and I encourage you to try out
this feature in Beta.

The retail product release is scheduled for later this year.

1. Replicate Database Schema Changes to multiple databases

I have 3 databases that run off of the same code but for different
departments... i would like to have a master database which I can add a
field and have the field that was added to a table be added to the same
table in all 3 production databases automatically.

Is this possible using the replication services? Or is there some other way
SQL Server can do this

Version: SQL Server 2000
OS: Windows 2000 Server

2. Any efficient way to refresh the menu?

3. Changing the schema of a replicated database in SQL Server 7

4. creating table definitions in SQL from access

5. Table Structure / Schema changes For Replicated Databases

6. Column Permissions

7. Changing the schema of a replicated database in SQL Server 7

8. Newbie's question: Pro*c compile failed: -lxa not found

9. Moving a Access replicated database to a MSDE replicated database

10. Replicated Database Schema Initialization

11. Schema change in replicated sites

12. Replicating schema changes

13. Replicating table schema changes in 7 v 2000