cannot connect to SQL Server thru ODBC, yet Enterprise mgr sees it

cannot connect to SQL Server thru ODBC, yet Enterprise mgr sees it

Post by Les Caud » Wed, 26 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I'm getting connection failed, SQL Server error 1157, unable to
connect to datasource.

This is a Win95 client using TCP/IP.

I installed ODBC 3.0 with SQL Server 2.65 drivers.  I installed the
client on port 1433.

I have it setup exactly the same way on a win95 machine at my
location, and it works - so I know how to set up a win95 client.

I just don't know how to troubleshoot this.  The enterprise manager
can see the SQL Server (I installed that on the win95 client).  But no
program that uses ODBC can see the SQL Server.  I get no clue as to
what is wrong.

I had it working at that site, and they reformatted the hard disk and
re-installed win95.  Something has changed, but I can't figure it out.
I can ping the server, TCP/IP is working (it can even print with
TCP/IP).

I'm using standard security.  If I click on the database combo in the
ODBC dialog (presented by MS Query), instead of showing the databases,
I just get the error 1157.

On my person win95/NT network, even if I don't have a valid name and
password I don't get the 1157 error, it is a 4002 error (login
failed).

What are the logical steps to troubleshoot this?  Are there any tools
that can troubleshoot a connection problem?