MSDE Install

Post by Jean Zha » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:06:19

Hi Dean,

You have several wyas to test:

1. control panel -> services

2. Open DOS command prompt, change to sql server binn directory(default
directory for SQL Server 2k should be ?:\program files\microsoft SQL Server
\... and SQL Server 7.0 hsould be ?:\mssql7\binn).  The execute the command:

osql -E

or

osql -Usa -P<password>

3. use the SEM on another server to register the MSDE.

Thanks!

Jean

MSDE Install

Post by Alex Khai » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 06:32:24

I've heard rumors that this happens.  People say it needs File and Printer
Sharing enabled.  I also read in the BOL that you can run the SQL Server
without a network.  So who knows.

I think it needs the TCP/IP protocol at the minimum.  Try installing it, see
if it helps.  Maybe installing a dial-up adapter will do the trick if TCP/IP
by itself does not.

I certainly hope it does not need the physical NIC to work, that would be
unbelievable.
Hope you are using MSDE 2000.  I would not lose my time with 1.0.

I am very interested in this issue.  Please post your findings.
--
Alex Khain
Portland, OR, USA

Quote:> Does anyone know what MSDE requirements are.  I found the
> page on Microsofts website but it does not tell me if MSDE
> requires a network card in the machine.  It seems that if
> we install MSDE on a machine without a NIC, then MSDE will
> just hang.  Can anyone give me any further info on this?

> Thank you for any help,

> Lisa

MSDE Install

Post by Lisa Richte » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:25:48

I have found through a lot of trial and error that TCP/IP is required.
However, since the TCP/IP protocol is binded to the NIC.  I had to
install a bogus network adapter, I installed the drivers to a machine
with no NIC!  One more step which I found was vital was to set the
primary network login to the Windows Login NOT Microsoft's Client Login.
Then it worked!  Holy Cow is that messed up!

I have not heard of MSDE 2000 can you point me to some addition info.
Got my interest...

Thanks,

Lisa

MSDE Install

Post by Jun Chen[M » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 17:34:51

Hi,

Please refer to the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q235432

Thanks,
Jun Chen

MSDE Install

Post by Mag. Robert Venie » Fri, 18 Jan 2002 23:49:47

Hi,

I followed the steps in the article you mentioned but could not get MSDE
installed.
(steps: 1. Added Client for Microsoft Networks 2. Added Dial-Up Adapter 3.
Set Primary Logon to Client for Microsoft Networks).

I tried "MS Family logon" as well as "Client for Microsoft Networks" as
primary logon without success.

Any idea what to do (btw. I tried it on Windows 95 b and Windows 98 SE)?

Any help appreciated,
Robert

Quote:> Hi,

> Please refer to the following article:

> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q235432

> Thanks,
> Jun Chen

rights.

MSDE Install

Post by Jun Chen[M » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 11:30:25

Hi,

Have you completely remove the previous failed install? You may need to
manually clean the installed components first:

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q276044

Thanks,
Jun Chen

MSDE Install

Post by Mag. Robert Venie » Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:00:59

Hi and thanks,
but yes I removed the previous install. I think the problem is related to
the logon or network components: When I install a NIC, Client for Microsoft
Networks (as primary logon) and TCP/IP everything is ok.

For your information, the installation worked at the same machine with
Windows ME.

Do you have any further ideas?

That would be great,
Robert

Quote:> Hi,

> Have you completely remove the previous failed install? You may need to
> manually clean the installed components first:

> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=kb;en-us;Q276044

> Thanks,
> Jun Chen

rights.