moving SQL 6.5 database to another 6.5 server

moving SQL 6.5 database to another 6.5 server

Post by Mike Reill » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Your error message may be the result of not having a trust relation between
domains.  If you have a separate domain set up with your SQLServer on it,
then you need to set up trust between the two domains.

>I've created one SQL database on our office server by upsizing an access
>database. Now i need to move the database to the server which will be
located at
>the ISP.

>Right now that server is setting in our office, and it's on the network,
but on
>its own domain.

>I need to know how to copy it over to it from the office server while its
in the
>office And then how do i copy it once its at the ISP and hooked into the
net?

Post by Ia » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

[...]

Post by Ia » Tue, 12 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Actually i somehow got this working. I created a SQL login and that seems to
have worked. The only problem i have now is on one server, the tables are owned
by DBO and on another the owner is the login i created. I have to figure out how
to get the owners the same so that my SELECT statements are identical on each
machine. Right now they differ:
SELECT * FROM Table    or   SELECT * FROM USER.table

I'm looking into replication which you suggested in a previous post.

On Sat, 9 Jan 1999 23:34:27 -0800, "Mike Reilly"

>Your error message may be the result of not having a trust relation between
>domains.  If you have a separate domain set up with your SQLServer on it,
>then you need to set up trust between the two domains.

>>I've created one SQL database on our office server by upsizing an access
>>database. Now i need to move the database to the server which will be
>located at
>>the ISP.

>>Right now that server is setting in our office, and it's on the network,
>but on
>>its own domain.

>>I need to know how to copy it over to it from the office server while its
>in the
>>office And then how do i copy it once its at the ISP and hooked into the
>net?

>>I tried upsizing from access to this 2nd server, but its not working
>correctly.
>>When i go to the web page it usually says:

>>Database Error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login
>failed-
>>        User: Reason: Not defined as a valid user of a trusted SQL Server
>>connection.

>>Can someone tell me the correct procedure for moving a database to another
>>machine? And what logins need to be created so that database can be
>searched via
>>a web page?

>>Thanks.

1. Moving all databases from one SQL 6.5 server to another SQL 6.5 s erver

I am using SQL Server 6.5 and I have to move all the databases from one
server to another.
I have already created the new database devices and the databases on the
new server.
What is the best way to do this?
1. Backup all the databases from the old server and restore them on the
new server? Should I also backup the master, msdb and model databases?
What about the user logins? Will I have to re-create them on the new
server?
2. Use the Enterprise Manager and 'Transfer' the databases from one
server to another? What sequence should I follow? I mean, master first,
msdb second, etc.?

Your responce is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

2. SQL 6.5 to SQL 7.0 via two machines

3. migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5

4. Remove dups

5. transfer database from one SQL Server 6.5 to another SQL Server 6.5

6. UNIX Architect/ 3rd line support, also administrators. *LONDON*

7. Transfer database from one SQL Server 6.5 to another SQL Server 6.5

8. "dbo" prefix on user-defined functions

9. Moving 6.5 database to another 6.5 database with different character set

10. Moving SQL Server 6.5 Databases/application to new Server

11. Moving a SQL 6.5 database to SQL Server 7.0

12. Moving databases and data devices to new server in SQL 6.5

13. Help moving SQL Server 6.5 databases to new machine