How does SQL7 scale from 4 procs to 8 procs on Win2K?

How does SQL7 scale from 4 procs to 8 procs on Win2K?

Post by Jaso » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 02:29:12

Does anyone have any information on what performance gains can be expected
by moving from an NT4/SQL7 4 proc box, to a Win2K Advanced Server / SQL 7 8
proc box? The site is a typical eCommerce type site, with large product
catalog.

Thanks

Jason

How does SQL7 scale from 4 procs to 8 procs on Win2K?

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 31 Oct 2000 06:45:14

 Jason - depends on the app.  At best you'd get about 80% extra throughput.

 > Does anyone have any information on what performance gains can be expected

Quote:> by moving from an NT4/SQL7 4 proc box, to a Win2K Advanced Server / SQL 7 8
> proc box? The site is a typical eCommerce type site, with large product
> catalog.

> Thanks

> Jason

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

How does SQL7 scale from 4 procs to 8 procs on Win2K?

Post by Mike » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 07:07:13

Keep in mind that the performance gains are highly dependant on the
application you have.  If your application is DISK I/O bound or memory bound
it won't matter how many processors you have.  Then again if you are
processor bound, it will improve things, but only if the extra work achieved
by the processors doesn't cause you to become I/O bound now.

In other words your mileage may vary.  If you have an app that is running
right now and having performance issues, why not measure some counters on it
and identify specifically what the issues are.  You could end up throwing
money at the wrong kind of hardware without doing some investigation.

Quote:> Does anyone have any information on what performance gains can be expected
> by moving from an NT4/SQL7 4 proc box, to a Win2K Advanced Server / SQL 7
8
> proc box? The site is a typical eCommerce type site, with large product
> catalog.

> Thanks

> Jason

1. Output/Return Values from PROCS within PROCS

Okay heres the situation:

Ive got a stored proc that accepts input params and these input params
are then passed onto either one of 2 procs (within the same master proc)
depending on the user's id. The reason for passing to a choice of

anyone of these 2 sub procs. i.e

1. MAIN PROC

CREATE procedure MyProcedure_1

as

           --the identity from either one of the sub procs]
begin
set nocount on

--referenceid number to return back

set nocount off
end
GO

2. SUB PROC
In each of the procs I have:

different from 0 now in the MAIN PROC because it was altered in the SUB

Please can some one point out why am I not getting the right output

Cheers K.Y

2. Q: Record out of range - a better explanation

3. Problem with s.Procs calling s.Procs

4. TNSPING Equivalent

5. Creating procs from procs

6. SQL 2000 Replication SP1

7. PROCS or no PROCS?

8. Setup failed due to SSL

9. Stored Procs not doing the same thing on different servers

10. ASP, Stored Procs, Recordsets & Parameters under SQL7

11. Performance problems after SQL7 Upgrade with Stored Procs

12. sql7 stored procs very slow when using cursors with order by clause