WebHosting MSSQL, Help!

Post by Felix Leun » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

MSSQL is another chooice for client to use in
my web hosting site. I have experience on installing
, developing, implementing, and supporting SQL server,
but I have no idea what minimum access to give to
my clients to let them have to ability to manage the
SQL database. What I am thinking about the step to
do so is:
1.) Create database named ex.ABC from hosting side.
2.) Assign the NT account attached to it, let say Ken and Sean.
3.) Give the permission to both of them have database owner.
4.) Give the IP address of my SQL Server to them.
5.) Then they use their SQL server software to connect to my
SQL server using the provided IP.
6.) Setting up the ODBC
7.) Done.
Is it this is the perfect method of doing SQL hosting?
Please Correct me if I am wrong, please.

--
Felix Leung
Intelliweb Internet Consultant Co.

WebHosting MSSQL, Help!

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 08 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Felix,

Letting them have their own databases, and being dbo in their respective
database seems like a good solution.
Note that "there can be only one", i.e. only one Login can _be_ dbo.
You can have several users as the dbowner role, though. (Dbowner cannot
change dboptions, and your customers might want to do that.)

Whether to use NT account to map logins or use SQL Server accounts (with
their respective passwords) is something to consider. There might be
advantages with both.

If you have a firewall, you'll have to open port 1433 (which is SQL Server
default, well-known, port for WinSock communication).

--
Tibor Karaszi
MCDBA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> MSSQL is another chooice for client to use in
> my web hosting site. I have experience on installing
> , developing, implementing, and supporting SQL server,
> but I have no idea what minimum access to give to
> my clients to let them have to ability to manage the
> SQL database. What I am thinking about the step to
> do so is:
> 1.) Create database named ex.ABC from hosting side.
> 2.) Assign the NT account attached to it, let say Ken and Sean.
> 3.) Give the permission to both of them have database owner.
> 4.) Give the IP address of my SQL Server to them.
> 5.) Then they use their SQL server software to connect to my
> SQL server using the provided IP.
> 6.) Setting up the ODBC
> 7.) Done.
> Is it this is the perfect method of doing SQL hosting?
> Please Correct me if I am wrong, please.

> --
> Felix Leung
> Intelliweb Internet Consultant Co.
> www.intelliweb.com.hk

1. WebHosting MSSQL Help!

[...]

2. db grid similar to Properties window?

3. problem: PROBUILD under SCO UNIX 5.04 with UDK development kit

4. Linked servers,stored procedures & triggers

5. WebHosting HELP!

6. Handling Update/Delete

7. WebHosting HELP

8. Webhosting ISP in Northern Cal?

9. Get 100% Free domain and Webhosting !!