Copying database structure changes directly to another database

Copying database structure changes directly to another database

Post by omar shafi » Sun, 03 Feb 2002 21:00:58

Hi all,
to explain it in a simple way.  I have 2 identical databases.  i added a
field to a table in the first database.  i want the second database be
affected without runing the field addition script on the second database.

Copying database structure changes directly to another database

Post by Narayana Vyas Kondredd » Mon, 04 Feb 2002 00:46:55

Omar, there is no provision for schema replication between databases. If you
have SQL Server 2000 replication in place, it can support limited schema
changes. If you are maintaining a standby server using logshipping or
manuall backup/restore process, all the schema changes will apprear on the
logshipped database.

What I personally do is, create a script and run it on both the databases.
--
HTH,
Vyas, MVP (SQL Server)

Hi all,
to explain it in a simple way.  I have 2 identical databases.  i added a
field to a table in the first database.  i want the second database be
affected without runing the field addition script on the second database.

1. Merging databases/Copying Structure into existing database

See the information_schema views. Not all info is available through this
and you will have to use the system tables for some things - see tables
beginning with sys...

You could script the database via dmo from VB - see

http://www.nigelrivett.net/DMOScriptAllDatabases.html

http://www.nigelrivett.net/DMOScripting.html

There are also products that will compare databases and produce scripts
to update them.

see sqlcompare.

2. ADO for C++

3. Copy objects structure from one database to another

4. Find string inside stored procedure

5. Copying Database Structure

6. Smart Tool for Oracle Customizations : Announcement

7. Copy Database Structure

8. MDDB Switch for SAS Institute??

9. Copying Database Structure, etc

10. Copy a database structure?

11. Copy database structure on floppy disk?

12. Failed SQL7 to SQL2000 database copy using copy database wizard

13. copy a database structure