CFGCHAR.EXE

Post by Richard Harri » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 19:52:27

Hi all,

Despite following all the good advices in this n/g I still cannot resolve
this error, and it is beginning to unhinge me!

Does anyone out there (including Microsoft) have any idea whatsoever to do
about it?

The story so far:

Compaq ML350
2 x P833MHz
512MB RAM
2 x 18.2 HDD (disks have been converted to dynamic)
Windows 2000 Advanced Server SP1 + Latest updates (don't want to ry SP2 just
yet...!)

Had titanic problems getting 6.5 installed, followed advices posted here and
eventually beat it on. Master DB = 100MB, virtually empty. No other DBs
(apart from defaults).
Not running in single user mode.
No spaces in SP5a folder name.
\ added to SQLPath in registry
No * characters in the PATH statement
SA password is not blank.
Named Pipes is default netlib.

SP5a setup fails with "CFGCHAR.EXE could not be executed check the .OUT
file", which contains the last line:

isql failed - Exit Code: 1

All other lines terminate with Copied or Created, e.g.:

E:\MSSQL65\\charsets\cp1257\LVINC.257 - copied

Please, please someone HELP!!! Reply either by email

Thanks in advance (and anticipation!),

Rich.

CFGCHAR.EXE

Post by Ajay Hand » Fri, 01 Jun 2001 20:17:14

Hi Rich
  Cheer Up. I know exactly the root of the problem and i know
  why this Happens....
  So here is the Solution
  You mssql Server directory must be of DOS 8 characters or Less with no spaces
in it... Your SP5 directory where you have extracted the files to be install
must not have any space in the Name like it should be something like
SQLPack5 and not SQL Pack5....

I had faced this prob in past so many times... And this is how i got rid of this
I hope you will be fine tooo

Chow
Ajay Handa

[...]

.

1. help 6.5 sp5a cfgchar.exe, i'm getting crazy

help,

sql 6.5
windows 2000 sp2 + all the patches

I try to install sql sp5a but :

"Setup initialization could not be successfully completed. cfgchar.exe could
not be executed. Please check the relevant .OUT file. "

all the paths are ok according to the microsoft KB,
the folder naming are ok according to the microsoft KB
the master database has 200mb and has plenty of space avalaible.
I stopped all the non necessary services
machine : ibm x342 raid + p4 1.7 + 1gb ram
I added time delay in the sql scripts in the service pack in case the
machine is too fast (I had to do that to install sqlserver too in many
installation sql script)

I cannot update the version to sqlserver 2000 right now for a number of
reasons (budget, summer holiday, software to retest and redesign) but I need
to make everything work as soon as possible as my old digital alpha server
is dying fast...

I had proofed everything on a test machine (ordinary pc with ordinary ide
drives) and everything was ok and working fine... but on the ibm machine,
i'm about to go crazy

do you have any Idea

Thanks
a desesperate guy about to have to forget his summer holiday

2. MySQL-Front 2.1 Now Available

3. cfgchar.exe aghhhhh

4. # !!HOT!! ORACLE FINANCIALS TRAINING IN ATLANTA & SUNNYVALE

5. Trying to install SP5a (cfgchar.exe problem)

6. PDOXWIN 5.0: EXECUTE weirdness.....

7. cfgchar.exe problems in sp5a

8. About Oracle to MS-SQL 6.5 solution ? Help me ...

9. cfgchar.exe could not be executed

10. SP5a cfgchar.exe error

11. Service pack 5a problem - cfgchar.exe fails to execute

12. SQL Server 6.5 SP5 cfgchar.exe