Fulltext with fuzzy search like SOUNDEX

Post by Gregor Walte » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

is it possible to search for words "less precise" like searching for 'Smith'
and also find 'Smythe' (this is the example of the SOUNDEX function in sql)?

Gregor Walter
Global New Media GmbH Munich

Fulltext with fuzzy search like SOUNDEX

Post by Wayne Snyde » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

The closest you can get in sql 6.5 is patindex, which allows regular
expressions like 'sm%', but there are no soundex type functions in sql for
text columns...

In sql 7.0, you could full text index the the column, which gives you the
capability of advanced searching like 'farm near boy', the ability to attach
relevence values to words and get results which most closely match your
query, as well as the ability to look for forms of a verb ... like 'run,
ran, running', in which sql conjugates the verb... Unfortunately still no
Soundex-like features...

--
Wayne Snyder MCP, MCSE, MCT, SQL Server MVP
IKON Technology Services, C*te, NC Education

Fulltext with fuzzy search like SOUNDEX

Post by ken jand » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

SQL 7.0 also provides the DIFFERENCE function which can be used for a 'less
precise' search.

select last_name from customer
where difference(last_name, 'smythe') > 3

- this query will return a customer with a last_name of 'smith' or 'smyth'
or 'smithe'

>Hi,

>is it possible to search for words "less precise" like searching for
'Smith'
>and also find 'Smythe' (this is the example of the SOUNDEX function in
sql)?

>Gregor Walter
>Global New Media GmbH Munich

Fulltext with fuzzy search like SOUNDEX

Post by Gregor Walte » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I use sql 7 - I created my own fulltext query for sql 6.5, and by using the
SOUNDEX function, it was giving nice opportunity for "fuzzy" searches. Now I
switched over to SQL7 fulltext search, because its faster and easier to use.
I always thought this feature is included SQL7, because it stated so in the
books online: "...Is a predicate used to search columns containing
character-based data types for precise or fuzzy (less precise) matches to
single words and phrases..."
But actually there is nothing like a fuzzy search?

Gregor