Installing SQL Server in Windows XP Home Edition

Installing SQL Server in Windows XP Home Edition

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 02:41:24

SQL Server is a only runs on SERVER based operating systems (Win NT Server,
Win2k Server, or .NET Server).

You can choose to install the client tools on a server or non-server based
operating system.
You could also choose to install the desktop edition of SQL Server on your
"client" operating system.  This will install MSDE.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> I have Windows XP home edition and tried to install SQL
> Server 7.0.Cleint version is getting loaded on to the
> system and not the server version.
> Can anyone help me

Installing SQL Server in Windows XP Home Edition

Post by Alliso » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 06:05:06

You can install SQL 2000 Personal Edition on non-server
operating systems.  I know it works on XP Professional and
Windows 2000.  You can find out about XP Home on the
microsoft Website under SQL 2000.

In order to run the setup for Personal
Edition, I had to put the 2nd CD in first, (didn't use the
1st CD at all)
Hope this helps.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have Windows XP home edition and tried to install SQL
>Server 7.0.Cleint version is getting loaded on to the
>system and not the server version.
>Can anyone help me

>.

1. cannot install SQL Server 2000 on Windows XP home edition

Greetings,

I am unable to install SQL Server 2000 Personal edition on my machine
running windows XP Home edition. According to the SQL Server web site,
 that is a valid configuration.

I have reinstalled MDAC just in case, even though the SQL Server setup
reinstalls it as part of the installation. I am using the default
install
with Typical settings. I have tried different combinations in the
install,
such as NT authentication vs. SQL Server authentication, but did not
have
any success. The setup always fail after the files are copied and the
install attempts to configure SQL Server with my settings. I have
included
the last lines of the sqlstp.log. I believe it has to do with the
settings
under which to run the services. I have been only able to use "local
system"
as the account for sqlsvr.exe and sqlagent.exe. For some reason any
other
account that I choose, is not recognized as an account in my domain.
remember,
I am using XP Home Edition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CD

sqlstp.log
-------------------
Starting Service ...

SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS

-m -Q -T4022 -T3659

Connecting to Server ...

driver={sql server};server=HP;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified

driver={sql server};server=HP;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified

driver={sql server};server=HP;UID=sa;PWD=;database=master

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no
default driver specified

SQL Server configuration failed.

23:06:27 Process Exit Code: (-1)
23:06:31 Setup failed to configure the server.   Refer to the server
error logs and C:\WINDOWS\sqlstp.log for more information.
23:06:31 Action CleanUpInstall:
23:06:31 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe  -Silent 1 -Action 4
-Service SQLSERVERAGENT
23:06:31 Process Exit Code: (1060) The specified service does not
exist as an installed service.

23:06:31 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SqlSetup\Bin\scm.exe  -Silent 1 -Action 4
-Service MSSQLSERVER
23:06:31 Process Exit Code: (0)
23:06:31 StatsGenerate returned: 2
23:06:31 StatsGenerate
(0x80000000,0x1,0xf000000,0x0,1033,303,0x0,0x1,0,0,0
23:06:31 StatsGenerate -1,Owner)
23:06:31 Installation Failed.

2. thread question..

3. installing ms sql 2000 server in windows XP home edition

4. WinPass

5. Installing SQL Server on a XP Home Edition PC

6. open .dbf file in vb6

7. How to install Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition on Win XP Home Edit

8. ODBC for Access 2

9. Problem with install MSDE on Windows XP Home Edition

10. Connecting from Windows XP Home Edition using Windows NT authentication

11. Need Internet Information Server (IIS) for my Windows XP Home Edition PC

12. Install Personal SQL 7 on Windowx XP home edition

13. DB2 Personal Edition Install Error on Windows XP Professional Edition