how do I import xml to sql2000

Post by rona » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:09:54

Hi, I have a xml file and I'd like to import the data to a
couple of sql2000 database tables. I can't seem to find
this topic in msdn. Can someone help?

Thanks,
Rona

how do I import xml to sql2000

Post by Matt Pave » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:17:38

There are some built in SQL 2000 XML features to provide such functionality,
which I am not an expert with, but you can obtain the same functionality
with http://www.xdac.net.

Check out the XDAC3 User Manual and specifically the "XMLUpdate" section.

Thanks
Matt Pavey
Vice President
Marrero-Pavey Enterprises, LLC.
http://www.mpellc.com
http://www.xdac.net

how do I import xml to sql2000

Post by Bryant Like » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:33:45

Quote:> Hi, I have a xml file and I'd like to import the data to a
> couple of sql2000 database tables. I can't seem to find
> this topic in msdn. Can someone help?

Download SQLXML 3.0 and install the SDK. In the SDK you will find
information on XML Bulk Loading.

--
Bryant

how do I import xml to sql2000

Post by Bryant Like » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:45:06

Quote:> There are some built in SQL 2000 XML features to provide such
functionality,
> which I am not an expert with, but you can obtain the same functionality
> with http://www.xdac.net.**

** XDAC3 Beta costs $499.

I would stick with SQLXML since both provide the same functionality.

--
Bryant

how do I import xml to sql2000

Post by George Li [M » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 18:01:59

There are two options: one is to use OPENXML, for detailed information
about OPENXML, please refer to the SQL Books Online. The other is to use
the XML Bulk Load object of SQLXML, you can download SQLXML 3.0 from
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample...
l=/msdn-files/027/001/824/msdncompositedoc.xml&frame=true.

Best Regards,

George Li

Microsoft Support

how do I import xml to sql2000

Post by Am » Thu, 28 Feb 2002 01:55:01

Hi,

If you are willing to examine a 3rd party solution take a look at
DataMirror's DB/XML Transform.   DB/XML Transform provides a powerful
engine for bi-directional data transformation between XML, database
and text formats. It has the unique ability to transform and flow data
between an unprecedented range of formats including: database to XML,
XML to database, database to text, text to database, text to XML, XML
to text, database to database, XML to XML and text to text. With
comprehensive data transformation capabilities and out-of-the-box
flexibility.  Additional information is available at
www.datamirror.com, if you wish to investigate further.

Cheers,
Amy

Quote:> There are two options: one is to use OPENXML, for detailed information
> about OPENXML, please refer to the SQL Books Online. The other is to use
> the XML Bulk Load object of SQLXML, you can download SQLXML 3.0 from
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample...
> l=/msdn-files/027/001/824/msdncompositedoc.xml&frame=true.

> Best Regards,

> George Li

> Microsoft Support

1. XML in SQL2000 - Can this be done?

Using SQL Server 2000, is there a way to write a Stored Procedure that
will produce the following xml: (it need to have unlimited generations
if possible)

<item ID="1" ParentID="0" stuff="">
  <item ID="2" ParentID="1" stuff="">
    <item ID="5" ParentID="2" stuff=""/>
  </item>
<item>
<item ID="3" ParentID="0" stuff="">
  <item ID="4" ParentID="3" stuff="">
    <item ID="6" ParentID="4" stuff=""/>
    <item ID="7" ParentID="4" stuff=""/>
  </item>
<item>
<item ID="8" ParentID="0" stuff="">
  <item ID="9" ParentID="8" stuff=""/>
  <item ID="10" ParentID="8" stuff="">
    <item ID="11" ParentID="10" stuff=""/>
  </item>
<item>

From a single table named 'item' like this:

ID  ParentID  stuff
 1         0
 2         1
 3         0
 4         3
 5         2
 6         4
 7         4
 8         0
 9         8
10         8
11        10

I keep banging into this type of problem and need some help.

LaMar

2. Is this script supposed to work?

3. IMPORTING XML INTO SQL2000

4. Win2k install Vs NT4 to Win2k upgrade.

5. Getting started in importing Data in SQL2000 from a XML-File

6. Problem with Sybase and DTS

7. Import of PL/SQL procedure without doing a full user import

8. SCO UNIV V & INGRES

9. Dts Import Question:Importing Csv file in an existing SQL2000 table with row-level conditions

10. Import xml from .xml into sql 2000

11. Exchange 2000 and SQL2000 on same cluster can it be done

12. Attach db from sql2000 to sql6.5 can be done

13. Can it be done with XML