Single User Mode

Post by Wens » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 01:45:57

I'm trying to restore the master db, but I'm getting a
promt to use "single user mode".  Does any one know how I
can open SQL 7.0 under single user mode?

Single User Mode

Post by Kalen Delane » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 03:07:19

You  have to actually start the sqlserver executable with a special flag,
from the comand prompt.
In the Books Online, look for "command prompt utilities", and under that,
find sqlservr.
There are actually lots of flags you can pass when starting the server,
the -m to start in single user mode is just one of them.

Good Luck!
--
HTH
----------------

Quote:> I'm trying to restore the master db, but I'm getting a
> promt to use "single user mode".  Does any one know how I
> can open SQL 7.0 under single user mode?

Single User Mode

Post by Wens » Mon, 09 Jun 2003 04:33:58

Its Working...  Thanks a million.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>You  have to actually start the sqlserver executable with
a special flag,
>from the comand prompt.
>In the Books Online, look for "command prompt utilities",
and under that,
>find sqlservr.
>There are actually lots of flags you can pass when

starting the server,
>the -m to start in single user mode is just one of them.

>Good Luck!
>--
>HTH
>----------------
>Kalen Delaney
>SQL Server MVP
>www.SolidQualityLearning.com

>> I'm trying to restore the master db, but I'm getting a
>> promt to use "single user mode".  Does any one know how
>> can open SQL 7.0 under single user mode?

>.

1. When Single User Mode is not Single User Mode

Have a process that restores the transaction logs from one SQL Server onto
another every half hour. It first attempts to set the target database into
single user mode and continues with this until successful. Once in single
user mode, it commences the backup using the Restore command.

Sometimes this Restore command fails with the error message "Database in
use. The system administrator must have exclusive use of the database to run
the restore operation".

After some investigation have observed that when a database is in Single
user mode with a connection already present, the 2nd attempt to connect to
it (2nd connection) will timeout after the specified timeout interval. If
additional connections are attempted simulteneousely (any more than 2) these
fail immediately. Whilst the 2nd connection is waiting to timeout, there are
actually 2 connections to the database in single user mode, which causes the
Restore to fail.

Any ideas about why this happens and how it can be avoided/fixed. This is on
SQL Server 7 SP4.

2. Working with date fields

3. Changing server mode (currently in single-user mode) ?

4. Cannot send, host process disconnected:

5. command to disconnect db users so can switch to single user mode

6. IRVING, TX - System Administrator

7. DBCC CHECKDB and single user mode

8. Using the Avg() function

9. Database automatically going in single user mode?

10. Spontaneous single user mode?

11. SQL6.5 single user mode

12. Problem starting SQLServer in single-user mode

13. Single User Mode