Tape Backup Software

Post by John Simpso » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:27:09

Hi

I'm just coming to the end of the development phase of an SQLServer project
and have made some rather naive assumptions about the backup capabilities of
SQLServer.

Specfically: I assumed that I could backup the databases on three separate
SQLServer machines to a tape drive on another NT Server machine, but I find
that this facility is excluded from SQLServer. It is  available from the
third party software supplied with my HP Ultrium tape drive, but only as
another purchase .  Also, although NT Backup will operate over a network,
this does not offer the facilities necessary for sensibly backing up
databases.

The third party stuff supplied with the Ultrium is called TapeWare by
Yosemite Technologies.

Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience and recommend a product
(preferably with a timed demo., unlike the Yosemite product) that will do
this.

Thanks

John Simpson

Tape Backup Software

Post by Richard Sutterfiel » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 23:17:20

We use Veritas Backup Exec (www.veritas.com).  There is a Backup Exec Agent
for SQL Server that has worked very reliably for us.

Tape Backup Software

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 04:13:53

Quote:>>Also, although NT Backup will operate over a network,

this does not offer the facilities necessary for sensibly backing up
databases.<<

On the surface, this is true.  You cannot use NT Backup to backup your data
and log files (mdf and ldf).  Instead, you should use SQL Server's native
BACKUP command (read about it within Books Online) to backup each database
to a separate database backup file.  You can then backup these backup files
to tape using any software you choose, including NT Backup.

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP
==============

Quote:> Hi

> I'm just coming to the end of the development phase of an SQLServer
project
> and have made some rather naive assumptions about the backup capabilities
of
> SQLServer.

> Specfically: I assumed that I could backup the databases on three separate
> SQLServer machines to a tape drive on another NT Server machine, but I
find
> that this facility is excluded from SQLServer. It is  available from the
> third party software supplied with my HP Ultrium tape drive, but only as
> another purchase .  Also, although NT Backup will operate over a network,
> this does not offer the facilities necessary for sensibly backing up
> databases.

> The third party stuff supplied with the Ultrium is called TapeWare by
> Yosemite Technologies.

> Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience and recommend a product
> (preferably with a timed demo., unlike the Yosemite product) that will do
> this.

> Thanks

> John Simpson

Tape Backup Software

Post by Neil Pik » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 05:22:25

John - any of the "standard" 3rd party backup products when purchased with a
SQL Agent will do this - e.g. Ultrabac, Veritas, Cheyenne, Legato etc.

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Tape Backup Software

Post by John Simpso » Sun, 14 Oct 2001 17:25:51

Thanks for the responses.

Sounds like this isn't a problem.

Keith, this may be the best solution, it means that I can automate the
backup to the remote disk and have increased confidence in the data's
security  (and do the tape backup less frequently).  The downside is that
each of the three computers has 400GB of storage (its a compressed video
database for a repetitive industrial process).  The potential total for all
three is about 1000GB (is this a terabyte ?).  It's starting to get
embarrassing.

John

Quote:> Hi

> I'm just coming to the end of the development phase of an SQLServer
project
> and have made some rather naive assumptions about the backup capabilities
of
> SQLServer.

> Specfically: I assumed that I could backup the databases on three separate
> SQLServer machines to a tape drive on another NT Server machine, but I
find
> that this facility is excluded from SQLServer. It is  available from the
> third party software supplied with my HP Ultrium tape drive, but only as
> another purchase .  Also, although NT Backup will operate over a network,
> this does not offer the facilities necessary for sensibly backing up
> databases.

> The third party stuff supplied with the Ultrium is called TapeWare by
> Yosemite Technologies.

> Can anyone give me the benefit of their experience and recommend a product
> (preferably with a timed demo., unlike the Yosemite product) that will do
> this.

> Thanks

> John Simpson

Tape Backup Software

Post by pa » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:38:45

Quote:> >>Also, although NT Backup will operate over a network,
> this does not offer the facilities necessary for sensibly backing up
> databases.<<

> On the surface, this is true.  You cannot use NT Backup to backup your data
> and log files (mdf and ldf).  Instead, you should use SQL Server's native
> BACKUP command (read about it within Books Online) to backup each database
> to a separate database backup file.  You can then backup these backup files
> to tape using any software you choose, including NT Backup.

> --
> Keith, SQL Server MVP
> ==============
> Please reply only to the newsgroups.
> When posting, inclusion of SQL (CREATE TABLE ..., INSERT ..., etc.) which
> can be cut and pasted into Query Analyzer is appreciated.

can you setup it automaticly or you have to do it manualy from time to time?

PAw

Tape Backup Software

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Wed, 24 Oct 2001 01:53:51

Quote:> can you setup it automaticly or you have to do it manualy from time to

time?

I am not sure which "it" you are referring to.
You can schedule jobs within SQL Server using the SQL Server Agent.
You can schedule jobs within NT using the AT command, or by using "Scheduled
Tasks"

--
Keith, SQL Server MVP