Error 1326 - Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Error 1326 - Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Post by jonasli » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:26:47



Hi there,

I've 2 machines Win2k server & WinNT on different workgroups running SQL
Server 7.0 with SP2 of which one has already a Transactional
Publication. After creating a Pull Subscription on the other machine and
trying to Synchronize the data, the following errors appeared:

1)
Category:OS
Source:
Number:  1326
Message: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

2)
The process could not read file
'\\SHPSDS\E$\MSSQL7\ReplData\unc\SHPSDS_shps_DS Lookup
Tables\20021212160007\l_att_result.sch' due to OS error 1326.  The
step failed.

I've tried mapping the publisher's E$ from my subscriber and it could
actually see the file if I run
'\\SHPSDS\E$\MSSQL7\ReplData\unc\SHPSDS_shps_DS Lookup
Tables\20021212160007\l_att_result.sch'. However it does not solve the
problem. Would appreaciate some kind soul's help as its givin me lotsa
problems. Thanks!

--
Posted via http://dbforums.com

 
 
 

Error 1326 - Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Post by Mehran Niko » Fri, 13 Dec 2002 21:43:08


Hi

Mapping to the folder does not solve the problem. The problem is that the
SQL Server Agent Service does not have access rights to read the data from
the snapshot folder. It is not recommended to put subscriber/publisher in
two workgroups. Anyway what you may give it a try is to change the SQL
Server Agent account to the user you are currently using (which is able to
see the folder on the publisher)

Regards,
Mehran


>Hi there,

>I've 2 machines Win2k server & WinNT on different workgroups running SQL
>Server 7.0 with SP2 of which one has already a Transactional
>Publication. After creating a Pull Subscription on the other machine and
>trying to Synchronize the data, the following errors appeared:

>1)
>Category:OS
>Source:
>Number:  1326
>Message: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.

>2)
>The process could not read file
>'\\SHPSDS\E$\MSSQL7\ReplData\unc\SHPSDS_shps_DS Lookup
>Tables\20021212160007\l_att_result.sch' due to OS error 1326.  The
>step failed.

>I've tried mapping the publisher's E$ from my subscriber and it could
>actually see the file if I run
>'\\SHPSDS\E$\MSSQL7\ReplData\unc\SHPSDS_shps_DS Lookup
>Tables\20021212160007\l_att_result.sch'. However it does not solve the
>problem. Would appreaciate some kind soul's help as its givin me lotsa
>problems. Thanks!

>--
>Posted via http://dbforums.com


 
 
 

Error 1326 - Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Post by Michael Hote » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 04:07:01


I'm not sure why it isn't recommended.  I do this all of the time.  Two
different workgroups, different domains, domains to workgroups, and
workgroups to domains.  All combinations work without a problem.

Create a local user account on each SQL Server.  Use the same account and
the same password on all SQL Servers.  Use this account for both the SQL
Server service and the SQL Server Agent service.  Now configure replication.
You can cross the workgroup boundaries and even domain boundaries
with/without trust relationships by using passthrough authentication.

--

Mike
Principal Mentor
Solid Quality Learning
SQL Server MVP
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com

 
 
 

Error 1326 - Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Post by jonasli » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:41:34


Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I've created an id for both SQL Server with sa
rights. However, it seems that to start/stop the SQL Server Agent
service it requires a user logon from Windows. Do I need to create 2
identical Window users for this? Thanks

Originally posted by Michael Hotek

Quote:> I'm not sure why it isn't recommended.  I do this all of the
> time.  Two
> different workgroups, different domains, domains to workgroups, and
> workgroups to domains.  All combinations work without a problem.

> Create a local user account on each SQL Server.  Use the same
> account and
> the same password on all SQL Servers.  Use this account for
> both the SQL
> Server service and the SQL Server Agent service.  Now configure
> replication.
> You can cross the workgroup boundaries and even domain boundaries
> with/without trust relationships by using passthrough authentication.

> --

> Mike
> Principal Mentor
> Solid Quality Learning
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/"]http://www.solidqualityle-
> arning.com[/url]

http://www.mssqlserver.com/http://www.mssqlserver.com

--
Posted via http://dbforums.com

 
 
 

Error 1326 - Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Post by jonasli » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:17:45


Hi Michael,

I've got it working now. Basically both require a system (NT) user with
administrator rights to start the SQLServerAgent. With that you can do
the replication by impersonating the SQL Server Agent when doing the
pull subscription. Thanks for you help!!!

Originally posted by Michael Hotek

Quote:> I'm not sure why it isn't recommended.  I do this all of the
> time.  Two
> different workgroups, different domains, domains to workgroups, and
> workgroups to domains.  All combinations work without a problem.

> Create a local user account on each SQL Server.  Use the same
> account and
> the same password on all SQL Servers.  Use this account for
> both the SQL
> Server service and the SQL Server Agent service.  Now configure
> replication.
> You can cross the workgroup boundaries and even domain boundaries
> with/without trust relationships by using passthrough authentication.

> --

> Mike
> Principal Mentor
> Solid Quality Learning
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/"]http://www.solidqualityle-
> arning.com[/url]

http://www.mssqlserver.com/http://www.mssqlserver.com

--
Posted via http://dbforums.com

 
 
 

Error 1326 - Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Post by Michael Hote » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 05:14:50


Yep.

--

Mike
Principal Mentor
Solid Quality Learning
SQL Server MVP
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com
http://www.mssqlserver.com

 
 
 

1. Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Hi,

BOL :

When xp_cmdshell is invoked by a user who is a member of the sysadmin fixed
server role, xp_cmdshell will be executed under the security context in
which the SQL Server service is running. When the user is not a member of
the sysadmin group, xp_cmdshell will impersonate the SQL Server Agent proxy
account, which is specified using xp_sqlagent_proxy_account. If the proxy
account is not available, xp_cmdshell will fail. This is true only for NT
4.0 and Windows 2000. On Windows 9.x, there is no impersonation and
xp_cmdshell is always executed under the security context of the Windows 9.x
user who started SQL Server.

Check in Books OnLine for security issues on xp_cmdshell

Regards
Alen Zulic


2. SQLFetch Returns Incorrect Data for the Query -- Urgent response please!!

3. Unknown user name or bad password

4. Computing a median in 4gl or esqlc

5. DTS Error: Unknown user name or password

6. How can i make a trigger that execute BEFORE INSERT ??

7. Replication failure OS error 1326

8. Bad Paradox Table Header

9. Oracle8i Personal: installed but user name and password unknown (newbie)

10. Logon Failure: bad username

11. OS 1326 - Cannot connect using named pipes

12. SQL Server Error: 1326

13. Error 1326 in xpsql.c