Windows 2000/XP update causes crash of SQL Service Manager

Windows 2000/XP update causes crash of SQL Service Manager

Post by Guogan » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 20:56:27

I installed a few new updates of Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP
Professional today. However, after installation and restart, all the SQL
servers's Service Manager crashes at Windows start up, with a dialog says:
sqlmangr.exe-Application Error
The instruction at "0x780011cd" referenced memory at "0x00ca00e4". The
memory could not be "read".

Anybody see this too? What's going on?

Thanks,

Post by MV » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:16:05

> I installed a few new updates of Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP
> Professional today. However, after installation and restart, all the SQL
> servers's Service Manager crashes at Windows start up, with a dialog says:
> sqlmangr.exe-Application Error
> The instruction at "0x780011cd" referenced memory at "0x00ca00e4". The
> memory could not be "read".

> Anybody see this too? What's going on?

Hi

Check if the 811493 update is installed, if it is, remove it and see if it
helps...

811493 is not working good on a lot of computers (MS is aware of this),
and you should remove it using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

If you get a warning that other installs may stop working if you remove it,
just ignore it.

The 811493 fix is not critical really, it is only rated as "Important" by MS.

More here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811493
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-013.asp

e.g. this:
"For an attack to be successful, an attacker would need to be able to logon
interactively to the system, either at the console or through a terminal
session."

--
torgeir
Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page

Windows 2000/XP update causes crash of SQL Service Manager

Post by Guogan » Fri, 25 Apr 2003 21:57:47

Tried uninstall, and restarted. Doesn't help.

Seems nobody else has this problem.

> > I installed a few new updates of Windows 2000 Professional and Windows
XP
> > Professional today. However, after installation and restart, all the SQL
> > servers's Service Manager crashes at Windows start up, with a dialog
says:
> > sqlmangr.exe-Application Error
> > The instruction at "0x780011cd" referenced memory at "0x00ca00e4". The
> > memory could not be "read".

> > Anybody see this too? What's going on?

> Hi

> Check if the 811493 update is installed, if it is, remove it and see if it
> helps...

> 811493 is not working good on a lot of computers (MS is aware of this),
> and you should remove it using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

> If you get a warning that other installs may stop working if you remove
it,
> just ignore it.

> The 811493 fix is not critical really, it is only rated as "Important" by
MS.

> More here:

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811493
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-013.asp

> e.g. this:
> "For an attack to be successful, an attacker would need to be able to
logon
> interactively to the system, either at the console or through a terminal
> session."

> --
> torgeir
> Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page
> Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

Windows 2000/XP update causes crash of SQL Service Manager

Post by Don Cottam [MS » Fri, 02 May 2003 08:15:56

Do you know which updates you installed?  You can check in %program
files%\WindowsUpdate\V4\IUHist.xml.  Once you know which updates you
installed recently, you can try uninstalling them one by one and see if the
problems with SQL go away.  If not, then I would suggest posting to both the
SQL and Windows Update newsgroups and seeing if anybody else has had
problems or reported problems, or can suggest why this might have occurred.

--

Don Cottam
Microsoft Corporation

======================

> Tried uninstall, and restarted. Doesn't help.

> Seems nobody else has this problem.

> > > I installed a few new updates of Windows 2000 Professional and Windows
> XP
> > > Professional today. However, after installation and restart, all the
SQL
> > > servers's Service Manager crashes at Windows start up, with a dialog
> says:
> > > sqlmangr.exe-Application Error
> > > The instruction at "0x780011cd" referenced memory at "0x00ca00e4". The
> > > memory could not be "read".

> > > Anybody see this too? What's going on?

> > Hi

> > Check if the 811493 update is installed, if it is, remove it and see if
it
> > helps...

> > 811493 is not working good on a lot of computers (MS is aware of this),
> > and you should remove it using Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.

> > If you get a warning that other installs may stop working if you remove
> it,
> > just ignore it.

> > The 811493 fix is not critical really, it is only rated as "Important"
by
> MS.

> > More here:

> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811493
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-013.asp

> > e.g. this:
> > "For an attack to be successful, an attacker would need to be able to
> logon
> > interactively to the system, either at the console or through a terminal
> > session."

> > --
> > torgeir
> > Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
> > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of the 1328 page
> > Scripting Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter

Windows 2000/XP update causes crash of SQL Service Manager

Post by Paul Lagan » Tue, 13 May 2003 20:24:39

If you applied 814064 you may need a hotfix for this particular problem.
This affects SQL 2000 sp3 with MDAC2.7 sp1, and we got the hotfix from
Premier Support so I'm not sure if I'm allowed to disclose the q number or
not.

Quote:> I installed a few new updates of Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP
> Professional today. However, after installation and restart, all the SQL
> servers's Service Manager crashes at Windows start up, with a dialog says:
> sqlmangr.exe-Application Error
> The instruction at "0x780011cd" referenced memory at "0x00ca00e4". The
> memory could not be "read".

> Anybody see this too? What's going on?

> Thanks,

Windows 2000/XP update causes crash of SQL Service Manager

Post by Guogan » Tue, 13 May 2003 22:15:27

Thanks for the information, following the work around in 814064, it doesn't
crash now.

If the hotfix is available to Universal MSDN subscriber, please let me know.

Thanks again!
Guogang