Max Record Length

Post by Jack Templ » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 15:56:01

Where can I find the max Record length.
I believe it is 64000 bytes is that correct?, and if so is
there a work around to be able to increase this value.

Max Record Length

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:02:27

Max length for text, ntext and image is 2GB, for char and varchar 8000 characters and for nchar
and nvarchar 4000 characters.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> Where can I find the max Record length.
> I believe it is 64000 bytes is that correct?, and if so is
> there a work around to be able to increase this value.

Max Record Length

Post by Jack Templ » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:09:59

Tibor THANKS!

Are there any white papers on the limitations?

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Max length for text, ntext and image is 2GB, for char and

varchar 8000 characters and for nchar
Quote:>and nvarchar 4000 characters.

>--
>Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
>Archive at: http://groups.google.com/groups?

oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver

>> Where can I find the max Record length.
>> I believe it is 64000 bytes is that correct?, and if so
is
>> there a work around to be able to increase this value.

>.

Max Record Length

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 16:24:24

You're welcome, Jack :-)

You find it in books online, under the Architecture section.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Tibor THANKS!

> Are there any white papers on the limitations?

1. Max Record Length in 6.5 and 7 (?)

Could someone give me a reality check...please?!?

We were happily creating tables for a new database when SQL informed us
that we were over our 2K limit for record size, and it wouldn't create
the table.

Has anyone run into this before?  Is this something that we can modify
or are we stuck with it?  There were no references to it anywhere in the
documentation that I could find - not that that means much!

Regardless, any insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Jennifer

2. changing SQLServer installation to an other directory

3. max record length in import file

4. How to copy PICK OS system floppy disk?

5. Finding Record with max length lastname

6. Arranging the Field Order of a DBGrid?

7. Max record/row length for 7.0???

8. HELP: InterBase internation messages

9. report record band max length

10. BCP OUT Fixed-Length Record: Truncated Length

11. Get Entire Record of record that matches MAX in Group By

12. Max Length of Table / Column Name

13. max length of a symbol name?