Satellite Connection with half second delay

Satellite Connection with half second delay

Post by Eddie McCandles » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

We are looking at a SQL Server solution for a customer who has satellite
hops within the WAN, which they say insert a half-second latency period.
Will SQL Server handle this alone or must something else be done?

Thanks.
Ed

Satellite Connection with half second delay

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:00:00

 Ed,

 SQL Server depends entirely on the underlying network protocol - should be
fine.

 > We are looking at a SQL Server solution for a customer who has satellite

Quote:> hops within the WAN, which they say insert a half-second latency period.
> Will SQL Server handle this alone or must something else be done?

> Thanks.
> Ed

 Reply here - no email
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 (faqxxx.zip in lib 7)
 or www.sqlserverfaq.com
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. 12 Second delay opening connections to an idle SQL Server w/ ADO - OLEDB

Hi Folks,

I have an application that uses MTS objects talking to an SQL 6.5 (sp4)
database through ADO and the SQLOLEDB provider.

The MTS objects start a new transaction when instantiated (requires new).

My trace log files reveal a 10-14 second delay establishing the
ADODB.Connection.Open CONNECT_STRING. (Where CONNECT_STRING is my global
string variable holding the connect string proper).

I use the following connect string:

(Perhaps I am not properly using the SQLOLEDB driver in my connection
string?  Should I use Server= instead of DSN?)

The ADODB Connection is the first transactional activity, so it may be the
point at which MTS (OLEDB) starts a new transaction context, but I was under
the impression that this happened on intstantiation, so that should not
account for the delay...

The SQL Server sits on the same physical box as the MTS.  There should be NO
lag time in opening the connection as the SQL Server is idle (dedicated to
the application) and the box hums along at 6-10% utilization.

We are using ADO 2.0.

Connecting into the SQLServer using any other means (ISQL, EntMgr, ODBC) is
instantaneous.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might account for this lag?  I
am suspect of ADO / OLEDB.

Also, SQL Server is using Standard security.  Server is NT 4.0, SP3.

Thanks in advance, your time is much appreciated.

Regards,
Sean Hignett

2. ANNOUNCEMENT: Extended Support for Free SOLID Desktop for Linux

3. Graph data model

4. Database Maintenance Plan & Trans. Log Backups

5. 2 second delay after update !

6. Data Environment and Access97 DB with Password HELPPPPP

7. OAS Listener imposes 1 second delay

8. Bug: Multi-Threaded Server and 60 second delay on queries

9. TCP/IP connection via Satellite

10. Please help - dialup/satellite connection

11. Connection takes 2 and a half minutes with Btrieve v6.15.440 for Windows NT