synchronize production db and reporting db?

synchronize production db and reporting db?

Post by David Spaisma » Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Hello:

 Next week I have a database going into production
and now I need to set up  a separate reporting database. This is no
problem
except that I'll probably  need to load data daily from production into
the
reporting database.

 My questions:

1) Can I trust the EM transfer manager to refresh
the data nightly in the  reporting database correctly? Will it truncate
the
pre-existing data.

 2) Must I be logged into the reporting database(destination) always or
     should I incorporate that into a script? How?

3) Has any one experienced any problems using
transfer manager for this   purpose?

 4) What alternative should I use? bcp?

                     Thanks.

                     DAvid Spaisman

1. synchronize production db and reporting bd?

Hello:

                     Next week I have a database going into production
and now I need to set up
                     a separate reporting database. This is no problem
except that I'll probably
                     need to load data daily from production into the
reporting database.

                     My questions:

                     1) Can I trust the EM transfer manager to refresh
the data nightly in the
                     reporting database? Will it truncate the
pre-existing data.

                     2) Must I be logged into the reporting
database(destination) always or
                     should I incorporate that into a script? How?

                     3) Has any one experienced any problems using
transfer manager for this
                     purpose?

                     4) What alternative should I use? bcp?

                     Thanks.

                     DAvid Spaisman

2. Gupta errors in large application

3. Q: synchronizing FM DB with web DB

4. unite string field?

5. Synchronizing SQL DB with a Access DB?

6. EM of MS SQL 2000 SP2 shows incorrect number of rows

7. Production DB and History DB

8. Access --> MySQL

9. Managing development db and production db in parallel

10. OLTP db vs reporting db?

11. Reporting DB as copy of Transaction DB

12. How to preserve the metadata descriptions/comments while keeping synchronized with the changing DB

13. Synchronizing replicated db