Unable to run Profiler definitions in SQL Server 2000

Unable to run Profiler definitions in SQL Server 2000

Post by Praveen » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 05:58:02

Hi All,
In SQL Server 7, we had the option of opening a previously
saved trace template and running it inorder to run a
previously saved trace defintion repeatedly.
File > Open > Trace Definition
and choosing the Trace Name.  Clicking OK would run the
trace.

How do we do the same in SQL Server 2000?
File > Open > Trace Template
opens a Trace template but has only a 'Save' button and
I'm therefore unable to run it.

How is it possible to run a previously defined trace
repeatedly in SQL server 2000?
Thanks in advance,
Praveena

Unable to run Profiler definitions in SQL Server 2000

Post by David S. Patching [M » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 06:40:57

Praveena,

Will the following work for you?

1) Open SQL 2000 Profiler.
2)From the "File" menu select "New" then "Trace".
3) A dialog will appear that will ask you which server you would like to
connect to.
4) Once you have connected to the server you what to trace, a "Trace
Properties" dialog will appear.
5) The "Trace Properties" dialog has a field titled "Template file name"
with a button with folder icon which will let you navigate to and select
the trace definition file that you would like to use.

Thank you,
David

David S. Patching
Microsoft Support

Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic Technology Protection
Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
<http://www.microsoft.com/security>.

Unable to run Profiler definitions in SQL Server 2000

Post by Praveen » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 06:51:52

Thank you,  David.
But, is this the only way to do it in SQL Server 2000?  In
SQL 7, we were able to directly run a trace(without having
to create a new trace and once again specify the name of
the table to which it should be saved, though it is
already a part of the definiton) by just choosing the
Trace definition.
This way, we have to specify the table to which the output
needs to be saved, each time, even though it is a part of
the trace template itself.
Thank you,
-Praveena

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Praveena,

>Will the following work for you?

>1) Open SQL 2000 Profiler.
>2)From the "File" menu select "New" then "Trace".
>3) A dialog will appear that will ask you which server
you would like to
>connect to.
>4) Once you have connected to the server you what to
trace, a "Trace
>Properties" dialog will appear.
>5) The "Trace Properties" dialog has a field

titled "Template file name"
Quote:>with a button with folder icon which will let you

navigate to and select
Quote:>the trace definition file that you would like to use.

>Thank you,
>David

>David S. Patching
>Microsoft Support

confers no rights.

>Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic

Technology Protection
Quote:>Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please
visit
><http://www.microsoft.com/security>.

>.

Unable to run Profiler definitions in SQL Server 2000

Post by Reinaldo Kibel ( » Sun, 10 Mar 2002 04:16:04

Praveena,

SQL Server Profiler was enhanced in SQL 2000. Some functionality was also
enhanced. You can use for example the stored procedure

Checkout
Creating and Managing Traces and Templates
http://search.microsoft.com/gomsuri.asp?n=1&c=rp_Results&target=http:....
microsoft.com/library/en-us/adminsql/ad_mon_perf_227n.asp

Reinaldo Kibel
Microsoft? Corp. - SQL Server Support Engineer

You assume all risk for your use. ? 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights
reserved.

Additional support can be obtained at http://support.microsoft.com

--------------------

Quote:| >-----Original Message-----
| >Praveena,
| >
| >Will the following work for you?
| >
| >1) Open SQL 2000 Profiler.
| >2)From the "File" menu select "New" then "Trace".
| >3) A dialog will appear that will ask you which server
| you would like to
| >connect to.
| >4) Once you have connected to the server you what to
| trace, a "Trace
| >Properties" dialog will appear.
| >5) The "Trace Properties" dialog has a field
| titled "Template file name"
| >with a button with folder icon which will let you
| navigate to and select
| >the trace definition file that you would like to use.
| >
| >Thank you,
| >David
| >
| >David S. Patching
| >Microsoft Support
| >

| >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
| confers no rights.
| >
| >Are you secure?  For information about the Strategic
| Technology Protection
| >Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please
| visit
| ><http://www.microsoft.com/security>.
| >

| >.

1. Windows 2000 Clients Unable to Authenticate to SQL Server running on Win NT 4.0

If anyone can point me to the correct solution to this
problem, I would be appreciative:

Have two applications that use a standard ODBC DSN to
connect to a database. If the client computer is running
Win 2K Pro and the Database (SQL 7 or 2000) is on a
Windows NT 4.0 Server (PDC, BDC, or Stand Alone) running
Mixed Mode authentication the User cannot authenticate
using Windows Authentication unless the User is granted
the "System Administrators" role. However, testing the
ODBC connection in the Control Panel is successful in
either SQL or Windows Authentication mode.

If the ODBC Hotfix is applied that allows SQL
Authentication from the 2000 ODBC drivers (no longer
ignores DSN setting), and the login is converted to a
standard SQL login, everything works correctly.

If the two applications are run from a Windows NT 4.0 or
Windows 9x computer, Windows Authentication works
correctly.

The Local Security Policy on the 2000 Client computers is
set to LM and NTLM login authentication. There is no port
filtering or Firewalls between the client and the server.

I have duplicated this on 3 separate Client/Server pairs
of systems. The two applications are not using any other
means of authentication other than that integrated with
Windows and SQL.

Ideas? Locations to go for help? Clue Bag?

Rick Shantery
E-mail: rickATintellineticsDOTcom

If you wish to reply in E-mail, please replace 'AT' with

listed above.

2. DTS loses my password.

3. Installing SQL Server 2000 - Unable to load SQL Server ODBC driver resource dll

4. How does Access 97 rate as a front end?

5. SQL Server 2000 and SQL Profiler

6. Error -2147217887

7. Sql Profiler Sql Server 2000

8. NULL values don't show in query, why?

9. Unable to Install SQL Server 2000 on windows 2000 Professional

10. Running on SQL Server 2000 Script prepared for SQL Server 6.5

11. Can I run SQL Serverion 7 and SQL Server 2000 on the same server

12. Dispalying object names in SQL Server 2000 profiler

13. About Profiler in SQL Server 2000...