Odd performance problem

Post by Frank LaRos » Fri, 04 May 2001 13:22:42

Hi,

I'm running SQL Server 7 SP3 on Windows 2000, using an ODBC-driven
client application.

I start Enterprise Manager on the local machine running SQL Server and I
navigate until it is showing me the list of tables for my database. Then
I execute my application in another window on the same machine. It
works, and performance is good.

Then I close Enterprise Manager, and performance degrades significantly,
for no apparent reason. If I restart Enterprise Manager and navigate to
the table display, performance returns to normal.

Starting the application first doesn't change the behavior. I tried
rebooting several times.

Has anyone seen this before?

Odd performance problem

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 04 May 2001 16:20:22

Frank,

Is the autoclose sp_dboption set? If so, remove it.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
FAQ from Neil at: http://www.sqlserverfaq.com

Quote:> Hi,

> I'm running SQL Server 7 SP3 on Windows 2000, using an ODBC-driven
> client application.

> I start Enterprise Manager on the local machine running SQL Server and I
> navigate until it is showing me the list of tables for my database. Then
> I execute my application in another window on the same machine. It
> works, and performance is good.

> Then I close Enterprise Manager, and performance degrades significantly,
> for no apparent reason. If I restart Enterprise Manager and navigate to
> the table display, performance returns to normal.

> Starting the application first doesn't change the behavior. I tried
> rebooting several times.

> Has anyone seen this before?

Odd performance problem

Yes, that was the problem exactly. Thanks for the advice.