Process will not die

Post by Julie Sorrel » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I have a process in SQL Server 7 which will not die. It's a fairly
simple select count (*) statement. It's been in rollback state since
Monday, and I killed it on Tuesday. The Wait Type is EXCHANGE. I am
willing to carry on waiting for it to die, but can anyone reassure me
that it *will* die? Do they ever *not* die? (The database is 14GB, if
that has a bearing on things.)

TIA

--
Julie

Process will not die

Post by Julie Sorrel » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a process in SQL Server 7 which will not die. It's a fairly
>simple select count (*) statement.

I have now discovered what I think is the reason this process has been
around for so long. After starting the select count(*) query, the user
stopped it, then deleted the contents of the table, whilst the process
was still running on the server. So I assume the process has got
itself in a bit of a state about this. Will it die, does anyone think?
Or may I have to stop/start the SQL Server service?

TIA

--
Julie

Process will not die

Post by kiev1.. » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

You have to stop and restart the server in this case.
Lena

> >I have a process in SQL Server 7 which will not die. It's a fairly
> >simple select count (*) statement.

> I have now discovered what I think is the reason this process has been
> around for so long. After starting the select count(*) query, the user
> stopped it, then deleted the contents of the table, whilst the process
> was still running on the server. So I assume the process has got
> itself in a bit of a state about this. Will it die, does anyone think?
> Or may I have to stop/start the SQL Server service?

> TIA

> --
> Julie

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Process will not die

Post by Julie Sorrel » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

>You have to stop and restart the server in this case.

Thanks, I was beginning to suspect this was the case.

--
Julie

Process will not die

Post by Keith Kratochvi » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

What SP level are you at?  We experienced these every so often with SP1.
Since applying SP2 shortly after its release I think that we have only
received the error once.

Keith

> >You have to stop and restart the server in this case.

> Thanks, I was beginning to suspect this was the case.

> --
> Julie

Process will not die

Post by Neil Pik » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Julie,

Quote:> I have a process in SQL Server 7 which will not die. It's a fairly
> simple select count (*) statement. It's been in rollback state since
> Monday, and I killed it on Tuesday. The Wait Type is EXCHANGE. I am
> willing to carry on waiting for it to die, but can anyone reassure me
> that it *will* die? Do they ever *not* die? (The database is 14GB, if
> that has a bearing on things.)

Q.     What does a wait type of CXPacket or Exchange mean?

A. You will get this only with versions of SQL that support parallel queries,
i.e. SQL 7 and later.  It means that one thread of the query is waiting for a
message packet from another, and the one it is waiting on is either blocked by
a traditional cause or has hit some sort of parallelism bug.

CXPacket means it is waiting on a data packet - i.e. the results of an internal
query is being passed.  Exchange means that it is waiting on a control packet -
i.e. waiting for a child/sibling process to tell you that it is finished.

If the query doesn't complete then make sure the latest service pack is applied
as there are several parallel query fixes in each one.  If it still doesn't fix
it then you have run into an unfixed bug and will need to contact Microsoft PSS
and raise a bug report.  You should be able to work-around the problem by
adding  (MAXDOP=1) as a query hint which will prevent the query being
parallelized.

===

v1.03 2000.04.16
Applies to SQL Server versions  : 7.0
FAQ Categories                  : Troubleshooting
Related FAQ articles            : bugreport for raising a bug report
Related Microsoft Kb articles   : Q244455 " INF: Definition of Sysprocesses
Waittype and Lastwaittype Fields for SQL Server 7.0"
Other related information       : n/a
Authors                         : Neil Pike

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Process will not die

Post by Julie Sorrel » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:29:50 -0500, "Keith Kratochvil"

>What SP level are you at?  We experienced these every so often with SP1.
>Since applying SP2 shortly after its release I think that we have only
>received the error once.

We are only at SP1 at the moment. I will try and schedule a time when
I can update to SP2.

Thanks, Keith.

--
Julie

Process will not die

Post by Julie Sorrel » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 18:43:31 +0100, Neil Pike

>If the query doesn't complete then make sure the latest service pack is applied
>as there are several parallel query fixes in each one.

Thanks for that Neil - I'm going to stop and start the SQL Server
service first, to see if that kills the process, and I shall schedule
a time when I will be able to apply SP2.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this,

--
Julie

Process will not die

Post by Neil Pik » Sat, 01 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Julie - stopping SQL will certainly get rid of it for now!

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

Process will not die

Post by Julie Sorrel » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:34:47 +0100, Neil Pike

>Julie - stopping SQL will certainly get rid of it for now!

Yep, did this on Friday and the rogue process is no more. It is a
deceased process.

Cheers,

--
Julie

Process will not die

Post by Neil Pik » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

A python fan... :-)

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (484 entries) see
 forumsb.compuserve.com/gvforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps (faqrtf.zip - L7
- SQL Public)
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html
 or www.sql-server.co.uk
 or www.mssqlserver.com/faq

1. Killed process not dying

On our production 7.3.3.6 database (yes, we're planning to upgrade soon).
I've got a process that won't die.  It's marked as KILLED and has been for
several hours.  It just refuses to go away.  It's a minor headache as its
holding an exclusive row lock that is blocking a couple other jobs.

Anyone have any ideas on how to make the process finally die or at least give
up its lock?

Thanks,
Mike Moore

2. fetching objects using OCI

3. fglgo process does not die

4. data base size

5. Process Will not DIE

6. What Form | Properties | Zoom is active???

7. fglgo process does not die (again)

8. Returning disconnected Recordsets...

9. processes not dying show killed forever

10. KILLed Sybase process will not die?

11. DB PROCESS Died Or not enabled

12. Process WILL NOT DIE!