bye-bye master

Post by Louis Jouber » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I was doing a disk refit when some idiot stopped the SQL Service on a 6.5
box. Thereafter I couldn't start the service - master couldn't recover.
Although I have an up-to-date backup of master I do not have the fragment
map so I can't load it over a blank/rebuilt master. After loading it and
restarting SQL I just get an error saying that a log page was expected at
logical page 14910 etc.

Does anyone have any ideas about getting my dump of master loaded, like
somehow reading the fragment map from the dump file? load headeronly gives
very little useful stuff...

So at that point I accepted having to go with a new master. But when I do
disk reinit for a database data and log device the disk refit does not add
the necesary to sysdatabases or sysusages. What could this indicate?

All help gladly received.

Louis

bye-bye master

Post by Ira S. Dav » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 14 Dec 1999 00:14:57 -0000, "Louis Joubert"

>I was doing a disk refit when some idiot stopped the SQL Service on a 6.5
>box. Thereafter I couldn't start the service - master couldn't recover.
>Although I have an up-to-date backup of master I do not have the fragment
>map so I can't load it over a blank/rebuilt master. After loading it and
>restarting SQL I just get an error saying that a log page was expected at
>logical page 14910 etc.

>Does anyone have any ideas about getting my dump of master loaded, like
>somehow reading the fragment map from the dump file? load headeronly gives
>very little useful stuff...

>So at that point I accepted having to go with a new master. But when I do
>disk reinit for a database data and log device the disk refit does not add
>the necesary to sysdatabases or sysusages. What could this indicate?

>All help gladly received.

>Louis

If you have an up-to-date backup of master, rebuild the master
database and reload it.  If you're concerned about the way master was
originally created you can start SQL from the command line:

sqlservr -c -T3607 -T4022 -T4024

The 3607 trace flag tells SQL Server NOT to recover ANY databases,
including master and 4022, 4024 (if memory serves) says not to run
startup stored procedures.  Verify this in Books On-Line (search for
"Trace Flags").

If you're able to get SQL Server started this way, you can connect via
ISQL/w or ISQL and read the sysdevices, sysdatabases, and sysusages
tables.  You'll be able to determine from that how master was
constructed.

Load headeronly gives only what you saw.  A database dump contains
only the pages in use at the time of the dump it does not have any
information about where the fragments were placed.  That info is in
master..sysusages.

Generally the times I see problems with disk reinit is when the
database has been loaded from a backup AND the database id's are
different between the load and the database being loaded.  For
example, you dump the Customers database on server A.  There, it is
dbid 12.  You then load that dump into Customers on Server B and on
Server B, the Customers database is dbid 11.  The load will work fine
but disk reinit may fail.

bye-bye master

Post by Crit » Wed, 15 Dec 1999 04:00:00

6.5 has a stored proc called sp_coalesce_fragments that may help. Another
useful feature (like single table backups) missing in the new and
not-so-improved version 7.0

Crito

Quote:> I was doing a disk refit when some idiot stopped the SQL Service on a 6.5
> box. Thereafter I couldn't start the service - master couldn't recover.
> Although I have an up-to-date backup of master I do not have the fragment
> map so I can't load it over a blank/rebuilt master. After loading it and
> restarting SQL I just get an error saying that a log page was expected at
> logical page 14910 etc.

> Does anyone have any ideas about getting my dump of master loaded, like
> somehow reading the fragment map from the dump file? load headeronly gives
> very little useful stuff...

> So at that point I accepted having to go with a new master. But when I do
> disk reinit for a database data and log device the disk refit does not add
> the necesary to sysdatabases or sysusages. What could this indicate?

> All help gladly received.

> Louis

1. SQL Server went bye-bye after install / patch

Verify in HKLM/system/ccs/services/mssqlserver that the path is correct,
and verify that master.dat is in the same location that the above registry
key thinks...

--
Richard Waymire, MCT, MCSE, MVP (SQLServer)
Principal Engineer, ARIS Corp.

2. how generate database SQL Scripts from T-SQL?

3. Bye Bye

4. Can you tell me how can i make my program get down in try icon

5. Date+Identity Index

6. Init went bye bye

7. Stored Procedure

8. Bye-bye mvBase and mvEnterprise

9. FilePro - was Re: Bye Bye $CO

10. Bye Bye $CO

11. Announce: Altra release Micropoint Mouse Alternative, Kiss your Mouse Good-bye

12. Announce: Altra Releases Micropoint Mouse Alternative, Kiss your Mouse Good-bye