How to delete Transaction Log or Logs (*.ldf)

How to delete Transaction Log or Logs (*.ldf)

Post by Rony Angel Varga » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:40:54

Please help me..

I have a problem with my database..

The log fill my hard disk and too the log is incremented by 1Gb and 1GB.
Actually the log have 10Gb.  How to fix this problem.

Thank's.

Rony.

How to delete Transaction Log or Logs (*.ldf)

Post by Tony Rogerso » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:39:47

BACKUP TRAN yourdb WITH NO_LOG

Then you need to use DBCC SHRINKFILE( yourlogfilename )

--
Tony Rogerson SQL Server MVP
Torver Computer Consultants Ltd

Quote:> Please help me..

> I have a problem with my database..

> The log fill my hard disk and too the log is incremented by 1Gb and 1GB.
> Actually the log have 10Gb.  How to fix this problem.

> Thank's.

> Rony.

How to delete Transaction Log or Logs (*.ldf)

Post by Andrew J. Kell » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 03:06:19

You didn't state the version but one of these should help:
http://www.mssqlserver.com/faq/logs-shrinklog.asp  Shrink File
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q256/6/50.asp    Shrink Log
7.0 KB
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q272/3/18.ASP    Shrink Log
2000 KB

--
Andrew J. Kelly   SQL MVP
Targitinteractive, Inc.

Quote:> Please help me..

> I have a problem with my database..

> The log fill my hard disk and too the log is incremented by 1Gb and 1GB.
> Actually the log have 10Gb.  How to fix this problem.

> Thank's.

> Rony.

1. Delete the LDF log file

We created a small database (2 Gb of data).
We did several tests and DTS for testing.
Now we have reached the stability we wanted but
the LDF file is 38 Gb.
This file (the only one and primary) is way too big for
the hard disks we have.
Is there a way to delete this file or reduce its size as
we are not going to do any more tests?

Thank you all!

2. C++ Library for accessing Sybase

3. LDF Log file cannot delete

4. Translation of a SQL query

5. Deleted LOG / LDF file without mdf detached!!!

6. **ORACLE and VB - Pros and Cons??**

7. Log LDF was delete

8. Shrink Transaction Log File (LDF)

9. How to clear transaction log files (*.ldf) ?

10. deleted iiacp.log iircp.log by mistake

11. Mass Delete - Log Entries Kills Available Log Space

12. How to delete certain reocrds from a table whitout logging any records in Trans Log file