Problem with Drop Table and truncate table

Problem with Drop Table and truncate table

Post by Carlos Rae » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have problem for drop a table.
SQL enterprise, drop the table and when refresh the database, reappear.

if use isql/w .
truncate table xxxxxx
the error> could not truncate table xxxxx, there is not enough room in the
log to record the deallocation of all of the index data pages.
if drop table xxxxxx
not drop.
Thanks

Problem with Drop Table and truncate table

Post by Kalen Delane » Sun, 20 Sep 1998 04:00:00

You'll have to clear out the log with
dump tran db_name with no_log

How big is your log? How big is your database?

--
Kalen Delaney
MCSE, SQL Server MCT, MVP

Quote:>I have problem for drop a table.
>SQL enterprise, drop the table and when refresh the database, reappear.

>if use isql/w .
>truncate table xxxxxx
>the error> could not truncate table xxxxx, there is not enough room in the
>log to record the deallocation of all of the index data pages.
>if drop table xxxxxx
>not drop.
>Thanks

1. Truncate table vs drop table and fragmentation

Greetings, Oracle experts.

I have an Oracle 7.3.4 installation I use for development. We've been doing
some longevity testing on our app, and in between runs I need to clean out
the database.

The easiest way for me to do this is to drop the tables and recreate them.
We have a DBA in the office, however, who tells me I'm an idiot for doing
this since I'll fragment the tablespaces, and that I should truncate the
tables instead. Unfortunately, he is unable to articulate why this would
cause fragmentation.

I haven't seen any performance degradation or encountered any problems with
creating new extents, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Can anyone explain this to me, or point me to the appropriate Oracle
documentation.

Thanks

--Doug

2. Jet 3.0 with attached tables

3. Drop table versus truncate and drop index

4. HELP: How to update records using a TQuery

5. Unable to drop or truncate table

6. SQL SERVER AGENT

7. truncate; drop any table priv

8. TCP protocol adapter does not install

9. Help: Can select, truncate but cannot alter and drop a table

10. TRUNCATE v DROP TABLE question

11. Modify to truncate vs. drop table

12. HELP! drop table and create table problems