Maximum number of computers connected to SQL Server using Desktop Version

Maximum number of computers connected to SQL Server using Desktop Version

Post by Seymour Mandelcor » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 06:00:12

Is there a maximum number of users that can connect to a
SQL 7.0 server that is loaded on a Windows 2000
profesional workstation?

Maximum number of computers connected to SQL Server using Desktop Version

Post by Savit » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 06:36:35

Hi,

The following is from Books on Line:

user connections Option
Use the user connections option to specify the maximum number of
simultaneous user connections allowed on Microsoft? SQL Server?. The actual
number of user connections allowed also depends the version of SQL Server
you are using and the limits of your application(s) and hardware. SQL
Server allows a maximum of 32,767 user connections.

Because user connections is dynamic (self-configuring option), SQL Server
adjusts the maximum number of user connections automatically as needed, up
to the maximum value allowable. For example, if only 10 users are logged
in, 10 user connection objects are allocated. In most cases, you should not
need to change the value for this option.

You can use SQL Server Query Analyzer and the following Transact-SQL
statement to determine the maximum number of user connections that your
system allows:

user connections helps avoid overloading the server with too many
concurrent connections. You can estimate the number of connections based on
system and user requirements. For example, on a system with many users,
each user would not usually require a unique connection. Connections can be
shared among users. Users who are running DB-Library applications need one
connection for each process started that calls the DB-Library dbopen
function, and users who are running ODBC applications need a connection for
each active connection handle in the application.

----

Important If you must use this option, do not set the value too high
because each connection takes approximately 40 KB of overhead regardless of
whether the connection is being used. If you exceed the maximum number of
user connections, you receive an error message and are not able to connect
until another connection becomes available.

----

user connections is an advanced option. If you are using the sp_configure
system stored procedure to change the setting, you can change user
connections only when show advanced options is set to 1. The setting takes
effect after stopping and restarting the server.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Savitha

Maximum number of computers connected to SQL Server using Desktop Version

Post by Seymour Mandelcor » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 22:44:26

Thank you for answereing my question. My problem is with the Windows 200 Professional Workstation who says there is a limit to 10 user connections. Does this also apply to SQL client connections?
Thank you

1. !Problems connecting to SQL server ERROR err.number=-2147467259 DBMSSOCN (using VB)

Hi,
I 've got some serious problems since running my app on a server and not
local om my pc. The error which occurs is when:

cn.CursorLocation = adUseClient
cn.CommandTimeout = 60
cn.Open Connection + DatabaseName

the connectionstring is a constant which is:
Public Const Connection As String = "Provider=sqloledb;driver={SQL
Server};uid="
DatabaseName ="SA;server=myserver;database=Sales"

After some processing the following error occure:
err.number=-2147467259
err.description= [DBMSSOCN]Algemene netwerkfout. Raadpleeg de
netwerkdocumentatie. (translated someting like 'general network failure,
read the network documentation')

What can I do, to solve this problem

thanx

ton

2. Books

3. Using ADO to connect from my computer to a database on a server

4. Deleting records using Query

5. maximum number of user into simultaneous on SQL SERVER 2000

7. connecting to a remote server using vb+sql server using ADO

8. ADO Deployment, client vs server side cursors

9. Desktop Version of SQL Server ???

10. connecting to a remote server using vb+sql server using ADO

11. What is the maximum number of user connections supported by SQL Server

12. Maximum number of user connections to SQL Server

13. Maximum number of fields allowed in a sql server table