How do I link 2 databases?

Post by the drag » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:09:26

We have 2 sql-server 7 databases running on 2 different machines.  On
one machine we run only our production instance (MAXPROD) and on our
development machine we have 2 instances (MAXTEST and MAXARCH).  Using
enterprise manager, or query analyzer, how can I set up a link on the
production box to point to the MAXARCH database so that users can
access the data contained in MAXARCH from MAXPROD????  In Oracle I
know how to do this, and then the data is accessed by the command

this in sql-server????

How do I link 2 databases?

Post by Cynthia Ayott » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 03:45:02

check in the books online the command sp_addlinkedserver

> We have 2 sql-server 7 databases running on 2 different machines.  On
> one machine we run only our production instance (MAXPROD) and on our
> development machine we have 2 instances (MAXTEST and MAXARCH).  Using
> enterprise manager, or query analyzer, how can I set up a link on the
> production box to point to the MAXARCH database so that users can
> access the data contained in MAXARCH from MAXPROD????  In Oracle I
> know how to do this, and then the data is accessed by the command

> this in sql-server????

How do I link 2 databases?

Post by adpx » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 04:31:42

the dragon,

Links are set up on a per-server basis.  In Enterprise Manager expand the
server node, expand Security, r-click on "Linked Servers"

--A

How do I link 2 databases?

Post by David Penne » Mon, 23 Sep 2002 21:48:51

The next step (and it seems like a cheap method) is to try linked
SQLServers.

However if you want better performance & capability to cope with differing
data models (ie make your MAXARCH database look identical in structure to
your MAXPROD - so that the same apps can access them both)

please take a look at our company. I'll be glad to give a demo.

Regards,
              David Penney
              CTO - Europe
              http://www.metamatrix.com

> We have 2 sql-server 7 databases running on 2 different machines.  On
> one machine we run only our production instance (MAXPROD) and on our
> development machine we have 2 instances (MAXTEST and MAXARCH).  Using
> enterprise manager, or query analyzer, how can I set up a link on the
> production box to point to the MAXARCH database so that users can
> access the data contained in MAXARCH from MAXPROD????  In Oracle I
> know how to do this, and then the data is accessed by the command

> this in sql-server????

1. How to link to Database linked forms ?

Hello every body,

I'm beginning with VB 5.0.
Can someone tell me how to for this:
- I have form1 linked with a database
- I have a button in form1 which load form2 (linked with the same Database)
How to do to open form2 on the same recordset that the one in form1 (there
is the same IDKey in the two forms).

Thank you very much for helping.

Ridha

2. pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq fe-connect.c

3. Database link error after the remote database restarts (comes up after down for a while)

4. Ado.connection.connectiontimeout

5. Troubles with database link for local databases

6. Implementing 'IN' without 'IN'

7. which database shows errors on link connection between two databases

8. Moving Data between databases w/o Database Link

9. Backup of SQL Database/Link between two SQL Database, How to

10. Database Link across 2 databases.

11. database link to non-Oracle database via odbc

12. Create database link for non-oracle database