trying to import tsv file into Sql Server 6.5

trying to import tsv file into Sql Server 6.5

Post by HardCorp » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm trying to import  a tab seperated value file into Sql Server 6.5. I
have the table built w/ columns corresponding to the tsv. But when I try
to bcp the tsv into sql, it gives me an "unexpected EOF encountered in
BCP data-file" DB-Library error message. The only data in this tsv file
are the columns of info I want to import. I have also tried to import
into Access but get an overflow error. Is this file too large? (approx.
1.7Mgs) What do I need to do to import this data into Sql server? Any
help appreciated. Thanks,
    Del

trying to import tsv file into Sql Server 6.5

Post by jay walke » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

an overflow error is usually a sign that the data you are importing is
outside the range of the data type column.  try changing the data type to
char, to see what data is being imported and then change the data type of
the column accordingly.

cheers

Quote:> I'm trying to import  a tab seperated value file into Sql Server 6.5. I
> have the table built w/ columns corresponding to the tsv. But when I try
> to bcp the tsv into sql, it gives me an "unexpected EOF encountered in
> BCP data-file" DB-Library error message. The only data in this tsv file
> are the columns of info I want to import. I have also tried to import
> into Access but get an overflow error. Is this file too large? (approx.
> 1.7Mgs) What do I need to do to import this data into Sql server? Any
> help appreciated. Thanks,
>     Del

trying to import tsv file into Sql Server 6.5

Post by Imran Hussai » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
    I have written an app that can help you transfer data from one source to
another. It uses ODBC as a middle-man. Since this is a TAB delimited file,
you should be able to use the ODBC driver that comes with any Microsoft
product. You can download this app from http://www.imranweb.com in the "Free
Software" section. It is called WinSQL. Get the Professional version of
WinSQL as that allows you to do data transfer.

Thanks,
Imran.

> I'm trying to import  a tab seperated value file into Sql Server 6.5. I
> have the table built w/ columns corresponding to the tsv. But when I try
> to bcp the tsv into sql, it gives me an "unexpected EOF encountered in
> BCP data-file" DB-Library error message. The only data in this tsv file
> are the columns of info I want to import. I have also tried to import
> into Access but get an overflow error. Is this file too large? (approx.
> 1.7Mgs) What do I need to do to import this data into Sql server? Any
> help appreciated. Thanks,
>     Del

Imran Hussain
MCP, MCSD

http://www.imranweb.com

1. Import text file in SQL Server 6.5 via SQL in Visual Basic

I am attempting to import a textfile into a SQL Server 6.5 table through
Visual Basic. I can do this easily in Access using a command like this:

INSERT INTO <tablename> SELECT * FROM
[text;database=<TextFileDirectory>;dsn=<Specification file>;
imex=2;hdr=no;fmt=fixed].[<TextFileName>#txt]

<tablename> = table in Access
<TextFileDirectory> = directory where text file exists
<Specification file> = Specification file defined in Access
<TextFileName> = Name of text file

Is there a similar SQL that I can use to make it work in SQL Server as
well. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. 32 Bit ODBC Drivers For Download

3. (PDXJOBS) Software Applications Analyst

4. DTS and MAPI

5. Importing Text Files Into SQL Server 6.5

6. Setup PostgreSQL as a regular user?

7. using SP to import .txt files in Sql server 6.5

8. Importing SQL-Server 6.5 .DAT file

9. flat file import into SQL Server 6.5 table

10. Import logins from SQL Server 6.5 to SQL Server 7.0

11. migrating sql databases sever 6.5 from sql server 6.5 to another sql server 6.5