Execution of OLAP DTS package failed

Post by Thomas Ivarsso » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00

We are trying to execute an OLAP DTS update task from data transformation
service(local package). We got the following error message

Error message 2 :

DTSRun: Loading... DTSRun: Executing... DTSRun OnStart:
DTSStep_DTSOlapProcess.Task_8 DTSRun OnError: DTSStep_DTSOlapProcess.Task_8,
Error = -2146828082 (800A00CE) Error string: The filename or extension is
too long. Error source: Microsoft Data Transformation Services (DTS) Package
Help file: sqldts.hlp Help context: 700 Error Detail Records:
Error: -2146828082 (800A00CE); Provider Error: 0 (0) Error string: The
filename or extension is too long. Error source: Microsoft Data
Transformation Services (DTS) Package Help file: sqldts.hlp Help context:
700 Error: -2147467259 (80004005); Provider Error: 0 (0) Error string: Error
source: Oppdragseier_Cube Help file: Help context: 1000206 DTSRun OnFinish:
DTSStep_DTSOlapProcess.Task_8 DTSRun: Package execution complete. Process
Exit Code 1. The step failed

************

The machine is a NT4 SP4 box with SQL Server 7 SP2 and OLAP Service SP2. Any
ideas or suggestions?

Thomas Ivarsson

WM-Data

Malmo Sweden

Execution of OLAP DTS package failed

Post by ashomro » Thu, 06 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thomas -

Unfortunately, the DTS Process Task Add-in gives very strange
error messages.
In order to get a more descriptive error message, look into the
following web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q243/5/45.ASP

To be more specific - the meaning of your error message
(i.e. "filename or extension is too long") is similar to the
infamous "error 211: unknown dimension member".
This means that in your fact table you have at least one
dimension member, which is missing in its respective dimension
table.
What you need to do is make sure you have full referential
integrity in your star schema.
The best way I know for doing that is by using SQL Server Stored
Procedures, that scan the fact table and add the missing keys to
the dimension tables.

HTH

Adar Shomron
Panorama Software Systems Ltd.

Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

Execution of OLAP DTS package failed

Post by Thomas Ivarsso » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thank's for your help. This error message("the filename or extension is to
long") points to DSO error 206, which says:"Process operation failed". Our
problem is that updating the cube from the olap manager works but doing the
same from the DTS addin Olap processing generates this error.

When you execute SP for OLAP service are the Add ins upgraded automatically
or should you do that separately?

Yours kindly
Thomas Ivarsson
WM-data Malmo Sweden

Quote:> Thomas -

> Unfortunately, the DTS Process Task Add-in gives very strange
> error messages.
> In order to get a more descriptive error message, look into the
> following web page:

> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q243/5/45.ASP

> To be more specific - the meaning of your error message
> (i.e. "filename or extension is too long") is similar to the
> infamous "error 211: unknown dimension member".
> This means that in your fact table you have at least one
> dimension member, which is missing in its respective dimension
> table.
> What you need to do is make sure you have full referential
> integrity in your star schema.
> The best way I know for doing that is by using SQL Server Stored
> Procedures, that scan the fact table and add the missing keys to
> the dimension tables.

> HTH

> Adar Shomron
> Panorama Software Systems Ltd.

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

1. DTS package fails on .exe execution when scheduled

I've created a DTS package that runs perfectly when executed manually.
Unfortunately, when scheduled, it fails on an .exe execution.  In any event,
there is a definite problem with scheduling this job.  I've tried many
things from recreating the job locally to using relative/absolute filenames
to verifying permissions on the executable.  I've even created batch files
and pif files that refer to the executable.  All this with the same result.
Unfortunately, I'm out of ideas.

Any ideas?

-Jeff Kahsen

2. SQL 6.5 Check DB Integrity

3. DTS Package execution failed

4. How to exeute en exe from within delphi2

5. DTS Package.LoadFromSQLServer fails for OLAP tasks

6. Shopping Basket Analysis

7. Problem with DTS Package Execution with DTS RUn from SQL or VB

8. US-GA-JAVA DEVELOPER / ARCHITECT / ANALYST (SENIOR / ORACLE

9. DTS transfer question on dynamic execution of DTS package

10. DTS Package call another, when child fails, parent fails

11. Dts packge running another dts package fails

12. dts, login fail when change dts package

13. [Repost: Error during DTS package execution]