Diskeeper and SQL Server Performance

Post by George Morto » Wed, 04 Nov 1998 04:00:00

 Anybody have experience with using Executive Software's Diskeeper
on the SQL server database???
TIA
--
George Morton, Cashel Consulting Corp
 serving New York and  Long Island since 1984

Diskeeper and SQL Server Performance

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

George,

Quote:>  Anybody have experience with using Executive Software's Diskeeper
> on the SQL server database???

Q.      Can I do an NT defrag on a SQL Server .DAT device/file?  Will it cause
any problems or do any good?
(v1.0   23.10.1998)

A.      Yes you can as long as you stop SQL first - NT needs exclusive access
to a file in order to defragment it.  As long as there are no bugs in the
defrag program and the system doesn't crash in the middle of a defrag then
there shouldn't be any problems.

Will it help?  Usually not much as SQL devices don't tend to change in size
once they are created, so unless a disk was badly fragmented when the device
was created so that NT could not allocate contiguous space for it all then it
won't be fragmented.

If you create your SQL devices on a freshly formatted drive then you won't get
any fragmentation.

 Neil Pike MVP/MCSE
 Protech Computing Ltd
 (Please post ALL replies to the newsgroup only unless indicated otherwise)

Diskeeper and SQL Server Performance

Post by Francis Stanisc » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

In addition to Neils comments, keep in mind that the majority of your
fragmentation will be
the result of numerous inserts, updates and deletes. Dropping and
recreating your clustered
indexes are the best way of taking care of fragmentation.

Francis

>  Anybody have experience with using Executive Software's Diskeeper
> on the SQL server database???
> TIA
> --
> George Morton, Cashel Consulting Corp
>  serving New York and  Long Island since 1984

1. Q re: Diskeeper & SQL Server files

Good morning,

        I am the corporate DBMS product manager responsible for all of my
company's MS SQL Server installations.  Our in-house OS support group
wants to install Diskeeper on their NT4 and W2K servers, including my
SQL Server boxes.  I am uncomfortable with an OS level product possibly
moving file blocks/segments of any database DATA or LOG files around
without the DBMS engine knowing about it.  I've searched MS TechNet,
usenet and Executive Software's online KB and have been unable to find
any information about the compatability (or lack there of), between
Diskeeper and MS SQL Server.  Does anyone have any documentation,
warnings or white papers concerning this combination?

        Does anyone know if Executive Software recommend running or not
running Diskeeper on drives containing MS SQL Server DATA and/or LOG
files?

        Thank you,
        pat----

2. Temp tables, spids and connection pooling

3. Diskeeper with SQL Server 2000

4. SQL 2K, ASP.NET, ISS 5

5. SQL Server Performance Problem - Good query performance, bad update performance

6. Looking for Dbase or SQL for UNIX systems

7. Diskeeper and SQL

8. Error in Pdox 4.5 for DOS

9. Performance problem: SQL Server 7.0 vs SQL Server 2000

10. Diskeeper 4.0

11. Diskeeper 5.0

12. Filemaker and Diskeeper 7.0 ?

13. diskeeper and Ingres