will /3GB help?

Post by timoth » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 11:09:35

My nodes got only 2 GB memory each. Do i need to add
a /3GB in the boot.ini? my purpose is to limit the OS to
access up to 1 GB memory.

will /3GB help?

Post by Bas Kersten [M » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:30:41

Hi Timothy,

No, if I userstand you correctly will this not work. Adding /3gb will
give your application (sql) the possibility to take more than 2 gb
and you don't have that available. See also the following link for
detailed info:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dngen
lib/html/msdn_ntvmm.asp

If you want 1gb available for the os could you consider to give 1gb
fixed to sql so that it leaves 1gb for the OS.

HTH,
Bas

rights.

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset
0 Arial;}{\f1\froman\fcharset0 Times New Roman;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20\par
Bas\par
\pard\sb100\sa100\f1\fs24 Please reply only to the newsgroup so that
others can benefit. When posting,\line please state the version of
SQL Server being used and the error number/exact\line error message
text received, if any.\line\line This posting is provided "AS IS"
with no warranties, and confers no rights.\par
\pard\f0\fs20\par

Quote:}

1. Willing to pay for Pro*C and/or DBA help

Right now I am involved in an Internet startup.  I am stuck in the role
of DBA, but I am very new at this.  I am also writing the interface to
the database for our application using Pro*C (although I'm open to using
OCI directly if necessary).

What I need is some sort of part-time consulting help.  For example, my
major 2 problems that I can't solve right now are:

   1) My Pro*C program is supposed to run indefinitely and it maintains
      on open Oracle connection.  However, it seems that after a while
      the connection times out if it isn't being used.  Next time I
      try to execute an SQL statement, I get an error message.  I have
      added code to try and recover from this, but then it seems the
      program gets into a bad state.

   2) My Pro*C program (running on Linux) can not connect to a remote
      database.  'sqlplus' can connect using the same connect string
      from the same machine.  The Pro*C program just segfaults (no
      error is returned).

If you think you can help with either of these problems, I would be
willing to compensate you for your time.

Likewise - are there companies out there that do this sort of thing?
Like per-incident consulting for Oracle?

--

    GT Sport Parachuting Club!  http://cyberbuzz.gatech.edu/skydive
     Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.

2. Wallpaper does not change with Active Desktop

3. anyono willing to give help

4. IConnect 9.2

5. J2EE help needed willing to pay $200 upfront

6. Using textin/textout vs. scribbling around

7. Commtools Help - willing to pay

8. MAGIC and Pervasive?

9. Need serious help and willing to compensate for it

10. /3GB memory switch.

11. Memory over 3GB

12. Boot.ini - how to set the 3GB switch

13. 3Gb of problems with Select into #temp