Bug - NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by Yra Beskorovayny » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

NTWDBLIB.DLL ver 7.00.694, MsSQL 7.0 + 1 SP

The field is described as VARCHAR (1000)
At returning this field in SELECT - 255 characters come back only, other
characters do not come back.

ICQ 10955818
Fido Net 2:5023/1.14

Bug - NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by Neil Pik » Thu, 27 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Yra - db-lib does not support > 255 chars.  You should migrate the app to ODBC

Quote:> NTWDBLIB.DLL ver 7.00.694, MsSQL 7.0 + 1 SP

> The field is described as VARCHAR (1000)
> At returning this field in SELECT - 255 characters come back only, other
> characters do not come back.

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Bug - NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by Yra Beskorovayny » Sun, 30 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I have written many programs with use of this library, and I would not like
them to alter. Really it so is difficult for correcting?

>Yra - db-lib does not support > 255 chars.  You should migrate the app to
ODBC

>> NTWDBLIB.DLL ver 7.00.694, MsSQL 7.0 + 1 SP

>> The field is described as VARCHAR (1000)
>> At returning this field in SELECT - 255 characters come back only, other
>> characters do not come back.

> Neil Pike MVP/MCSE.  Protech Computing Ltd
> (Please reply only to newsgroups)
> SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

>http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
> or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
> or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Bug - NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by Neil Pik » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Yra - regardless of whether it is difficult or not (I have no idea) MS will not
be adding 7.0 functionality to db-lib.  Either you live with the restriction or
you migrate to ODBC/OLE-DB which are being maintained.

Quote:> I have written many programs with use of this library, and I would not like
> them to alter. Really it so is difficult for correcting?

 (Please reply only to newsgroups)
 SQL FAQ (412 entries) see

http://forumsb.compuserve.com/vlforums/UK/default.asp?SRV=MSDevApps
 or www.ntfaq.com/sql.html (+ ntfaq download)
 or http://www.sql-server.co.uk

Bug - NTWDBLIB.DLL

Post by Gert Draper » Mon, 31 Jan 2000 04:00:00

As Neil said, DB-Lib does and will never support returning (var)char and/or
(var)binary larger then 255 because the internal length representation in
Db-Library is 1 byte, so even if they would have revised DB-Library to
support long values, it would have broken you application.

Beside that DB-Library does not support Unicode data types, the GUID data
type, new cursor models like fast forward only etc.

DB-Library is a dead API, it works as is against 7.0 and Shiloh but only
supports 6.5 level functionality. This is clearly stated in the Books Online
from SQL Server 7.0

-GertD

1. ntwdblib.dll vs sqlsrv32.dll (native driver vs ODBC driver)

It seems to me that the current ntwdblib.dll with MS SQL Server 7 CD
(beta 3) is not compatiable with MS SQL Server 7.  If a table has nchar,
nvarchar, or ntext data type field, the application used the
ntwdblib.dll will not work properly.  For example, the following simple
statemet cannot be executed successfully:

Select * from TableWithNTextField

However, an application used Sqlsrv32.dll will work fine.

In the past, isqlw.exe used ntwdblib.dll but the new isqlw.exe (with MS
SQL Server 7 beta 3 CD) uses sqlsrv32.dll.  What is the reason for the
change?  I cannot find the type definitions of nvarchar, nchar and ntext
in the new sqlfront.h, which defines the types of varchar, char and
ntext.  When I used the dbcolinfo to get the data type info for nchar
field, the reture value is 0x2f, which is just char data type.  So,
ntwdblib.dll is either not upgraded or cannot support the new MS SQL
Server anymore.

Can any one shed some light one my problem?  Thanks in advance.

Tao Lin

2. Disconnected Recordsets

3. NTWDBLIB.DLL

4. DCOM and ADO?

5. Updating NTWDBLIB.DLL

6. Setting Format and Decimla Places for an Access Field

7. ntwdblib.dll (Native vs. ODBC driver)

8. Open XML syntax problem...

9. Updating NTWDBLIB.DLL

10. What is NTWDBLIB.DLL

11. ntwdblib.dll