Create Database statements (File Groups, Files, and RAID)

Create Database statements (File Groups, Files, and RAID)

Post by Patrick Ikhif » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Guys,
I have a question about the effect of the create database statement on a
machine that has five physical drives with all the data striped across with
RAID 5. The disk controller is going to write data across all five drives in
the RAID set, now the question is, is there still an advantage in creating
files groups in a scenario such as this? I do not have control over which
physical devices will hold what file groups to take advantage of separating
reads and writes to the database table objects. I could logically partition
the drives, but then again that is only logical. If the data is written
across all the drives, then does it matter where I place tables and objects?
Any ideas here?  I would like to take advantage of file groups concept but I
am afraid that if the RAID sub system is already set up with a striping to
take advantage of the hot swap features of the drives that I do not get this
option. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Create Database statements (File Groups, Files, and RAID)

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Patrick,

No, you wouldn't gain anything by manually spreading things over a RAID5. FG could be
considered if you foresee that you'll get separate physical partitions in the future.
Otherwise, try to make one db file per disk (i.e. 5 files in your case), to drive
disksubsystem reasonable optimal.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> Guys,
> I have a question about the effect of the create database statement on a
> machine that has five physical drives with all the data striped across with
> RAID 5. The disk controller is going to write data across all five drives in
> the RAID set, now the question is, is there still an advantage in creating
> files groups in a scenario such as this? I do not have control over which
> physical devices will hold what file groups to take advantage of separating
> reads and writes to the database table objects. I could logically partition
> the drives, but then again that is only logical. If the data is written
> across all the drives, then does it matter where I place tables and objects?
> Any ideas here?  I would like to take advantage of file groups concept but I
> am afraid that if the RAID sub system is already set up with a striping to
> take advantage of the hot swap features of the drives that I do not get this
> option. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

1. FILEGROUPS:table file groups and text file group differ

I created a new filegroup and now want to assign some tables to it.  I
can
select the TABLE FILE GROUP and the TEXT FILE GROUP and select the new
filegroup name.  The table is saved.  However, when I reopen the table,
the TABLE FILE GROUP took the new name, but the TEXT FILE GROUP still
says "PRIMARY".  Why won't the Text File Group accept the new filename?

2. Free Space in Data Device

3. Stripe data from RAID 5 & file group

4. trigger permissions

5. TEMP DB's Physical File, How to remove one physical file from Primary File Group

6. Table-restructure in opal?

7. RAID devices vs size of database file

8. Membership Roster and Resource Guice

9. Is RAID useful for Oracle database files?

10. Multiple files in file group

11. Reduce or eliminate file groups and files

12. files and file groups

13. Restore Query (File or File Group Backups)