Can't perform sql6.5 disk backup on win2000pro

Can't perform sql6.5 disk backup on win2000pro

Post by Simon Poo » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 12:46:10

Hi,

Appreciate if someone can solve my problem on sql6.5 backup.

Our existing LAN is an NT4 running sql6.5. We have just installed another
win2000 domain. We have  set up the NT4 domain to a become a trusted domain
of win2000. In the win2000, we have a win2000pro workstation and we create a
share folder with maximum sharing rights to be used as the backup device for
Sql6.5. However, whenever, we perform a backup using this device, it always
fails. When we look into the system error log, the following error is logged
:

    dbsvopen: Backup device "device name" failed to open, operating system
error =5(Access is denied).

Same situation happens even if we use the win2000 server.

However, when we use a workstation with win98(member of win2000 domain)as
the backup device, the backup is successful.

Appreciate someone can help us to solve the above problem.

Thanks

Simon Poon

Can't perform sql6.5 disk backup on win2000pro

Post by Michael Brickle » Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:52:00

Most likly the SQl server is running under the local account and it has NO
authority except on the server SQl is running on.   Try creating a domain
account with access to the share you need the backup.  Run the SQL services
on that ID also.   Then you can backup across   the network.

Second method:  Create local account on each server woith the same ID and
password.  Run SQL services under those ID's. again apply permission to the
share for the ID.

Quote:> Hi,

> Appreciate if someone can solve my problem on sql6.5 backup.

> Our existing LAN is an NT4 running sql6.5. We have just installed another
> win2000 domain. We have  set up the NT4 domain to a become a trusted
domain
> of win2000. In the win2000, we have a win2000pro workstation and we create
> share folder with maximum sharing rights to be used as the backup device
for
> Sql6.5. However, whenever, we perform a backup using this device, it
always
> fails. When we look into the system error log, the following error is
logged
> :

>     dbsvopen: Backup device "device name" failed to open, operating system
> error =5(Access is denied).

> Same situation happens even if we use the win2000 server.

> However, when we use a workstation with win98(member of win2000 domain)as
> the backup device, the backup is successful.

> Appreciate someone can help us to solve the above problem.

> Thanks

> Simon Poon

Can't perform sql6.5 disk backup on win2000pro

Post by Simon Poo » Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:06:47

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your help. After setting the account in the sql service, I can do
the backup now.

Simon

> Most likly the SQl server is running under the local account and it has NO
> authority except on the server SQl is running on.   Try creating a domain
> account with access to the share you need the backup.  Run the SQL
services
> on that ID also.   Then you can backup across   the network.

> Second method:  Create local account on each server woith the same ID and
> password.  Run SQL services under those ID's. again apply permission to
the
> share for the ID.

> > Hi,

> > Appreciate if someone can solve my problem on sql6.5 backup.

> > Our existing LAN is an NT4 running sql6.5. We have just installed
another
> > win2000 domain. We have  set up the NT4 domain to a become a trusted
> domain
> > of win2000. In the win2000, we have a win2000pro workstation and we
create
> > share folder with maximum sharing rights to be used as the backup device
> for
> > Sql6.5. However, whenever, we perform a backup using this device, it
> always
> > fails. When we look into the system error log, the following error is
> logged
> > :

> >     dbsvopen: Backup device "device name" failed to open, operating
system
> > error =5(Access is denied).

> > Same situation happens even if we use the win2000 server.

> > However, when we use a workstation with win98(member of win2000
domain)as
> > the backup device, the backup is successful.

> > Appreciate someone can help us to solve the above problem.

> > Thanks

> > Simon Poon

1. transaction log backup can't be performed on master,northwind,pubs, msdb

Hi all:

I have a question.

I created management plan to backup all databases in the
instance at 10:00pm. The DBs are very small , 0 or 1 second
can finish. They are all good.

Also at 12:00 am , I set backup all transaction logs.  But
they are failed except the real DB such as QIMM that I
created.

I checked all these DBs' transaction log files exist.  Why
system DBs and sample DBS can't perform transaction log
backup.

The message shows in maintenance plan history:
Backup can't be performed on this database. The sub task
is ignored.

Why?????????????

Thanks in advance.

Stacy

2. Can someone email the v8.0 DEMO scripts

3. if you will promise Allahdad's swamp against cans, it will angrily depart the unit

4. Install VB3.0 -> Access 2.0 comlyr.exe

5. Informix and EMC's BCV's (disk-to-disk copy)

6. Creating a UNIQE Constraint on a field with null values

7. Backup of a database on network disks doesn't work

8. Merging Duplicate Records

9. Initialising backup device without performing backup

10. Can Windows 2000 NT backup, perform a backup on SQL Server 7/2000?, pcumming

11. Can Windows 2000 NT backup, perform a backup on SQL Server 2000?, pcumming

12. Performing Backups w/ non-SQL backup program

13. Can't backup transaction file to disk.