Recordset of recordsets

Post by Mike McIntyr » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I am currently working on a n-tiered project where I have a need to return
multiple recordsets to the UI (ASP Page). We have settled on ADO recordsets
as being the de facto interface between the UI and the business logic layer
(BLL). In doing so, we are encountering situations where it would be
convenient to return a recordset which contains multiple, different,
updateable recordsets. Once the recordset is returned to the ASP page, we'd
like to be able to grab the particular recordset(s) we need for what we're
doing on that particular page. We have tried doing data shaping but that
doesn't quite get the job done for us. Is this possible to do? If so, how?

TIA,
Mike McIntyre

Recordset of recordsets

Post by Carlos Eduardo Roja » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I'm not an ADO expert, but I think you have to use the NextRecordset method.
--
Hope this helps,,
Carlos Eduardo Rojas

> I am currently working on a n-tiered project where I have a need to return
> multiple recordsets to the UI (ASP Page). We have settled on ADO
recordsets
> as being the de facto interface between the UI and the business logic
layer
> (BLL). In doing so, we are encountering situations where it would be
> convenient to return a recordset which contains multiple, different,
> updateable recordsets. Once the recordset is returned to the ASP page,
we'd
> like to be able to grab the particular recordset(s) we need for what we're
> doing on that particular page. We have tried doing data shaping but that
> doesn't quite get the job done for us. Is this possible to do? If so, how?

> TIA,
> Mike McIntyre

Recordset of recordsets

Post by Sven Aelterma » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

The ADO.Recordset object has the method NewRecordset().

You might want to check that out.

--

Kind regards

Sven Aelterman
IT
Global Communication N.V.

Please reply to the newsgroup.

And remember: Bugs come in through Windows.

http://www.aelterman.com

> I am currently working on a n-tiered project where I have a need to return
> multiple recordsets to the UI (ASP Page). We have settled on ADO
recordsets
> as being the de facto interface between the UI and the business logic
layer
> (BLL). In doing so, we are encountering situations where it would be
> convenient to return a recordset which contains multiple, different,
> updateable recordsets. Once the recordset is returned to the ASP page,
we'd
> like to be able to grab the particular recordset(s) we need for what we're
> doing on that particular page. We have tried doing data shaping but that
> doesn't quite get the job done for us. Is this possible to do? If so, how?

> TIA,
> Mike McIntyre

Recordset of recordsets

Post by Mike McIntyr » Thu, 14 Sep 2000 04:00:00

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
That's what I was missing.

Mike

> I'm not an ADO expert, but I think you have to use the NextRecordset
method.
> --
> Hope this helps,,
> Carlos Eduardo Rojas
> MCSE+I, MCDBA, MCSS

> > I am currently working on a n-tiered project where I have a need to
return
> > multiple recordsets to the UI (ASP Page). We have settled on ADO
> recordsets
> > as being the de facto interface between the UI and the business logic
> layer
> > (BLL). In doing so, we are encountering situations where it would be
> > convenient to return a recordset which contains multiple, different,
> > updateable recordsets. Once the recordset is returned to the ASP page,
> we'd
> > like to be able to grab the particular recordset(s) we need for what
we're
> > doing on that particular page. We have tried doing data shaping but that
> > doesn't quite get the job done for us. Is this possible to do? If so,
how?

> > TIA,
> > Mike McIntyre

1. passing variable from recordset to recordset

Hello, I am working with a stored procedure to return two recordsets to the
application.  The second recordset depends on the first recordset for a
returned value to be used as an input parameter.  I'm having trouble passing
the parameter between the two recordsets without having to go in and out of
the application during the process.

particular country.  Only one record will be returned in all cases.  The
value of the r1.summary will be displayed in the application.  The value of
the r1.mewr_id must be passed along to be used as a parameter in the second
portion of the stored procedure (see STATEMENT 2).

STATEMENT 1
-------------
CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[get_country_home_2]

as

SELECT
 r1.country_id,
 r1.mewr_id,
 r1.summary

FROM monthly_ew_reports r1 INNER JOIN countries c1 ON r1.country_id =
c1.cy_id

WHERE (r1.cvg_start =
        (SELECT MAX(r2.cvg_start)
      FROM monthly_ew_reports AS r2

--------------

In the second recordset, the mewr_id value of the one record returned from
the first statement should be used as the parameter to pass into the this
statement (STATEMENT 2):

STATEMENT 2
--------------
SELECT
 r1.mewr_id,
 datename(m, r1.cvg_start) as cvg_start_month,
 datename(d, r1.cvg_start) as cvg_start_day,
 datename(m, r1.cvg_end) as cvg_end_month,
 datename(d, r1.cvg_end) as cvg_end_day

FROM monthly_ew_reports r1 INNER JOIN countries c1 ON r1.country_id =
c1.cy_id

WHERE r1.country_id = '<PARAMETER>'
--------------

 How can I write my stored procedure so that in the end, the application
receives two recordsets as described above.

Please help if you can...

___________

2. Pull replication from Access to SQL 7

3. Key for recordset in recordsets collection

4. GPF in SQLSRVR.DLL 000C:09B1

5. Recordset from recordset

6. Searchable database online

7. Recordset from Recordset

8. Location of SP code?

9. Recordset to Recordset

10. Querying Recordsets into Recordsets

11. Problem with ADO recordsets of recordsets under MTS

12. Create recordset from recordset?

13. Get part of recordset as recordset