Problems accessing OLAP with Asp pages

Post by Steve Pha » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I obtained one test asp from the Microsoft web site that runs an OLAP query.
The ASP sits on the Web Server and is able to connect and retrieve cube data
from a different server.  However, this ASP has hard coded server, database
and query statements.  When I try to achieve the same objective with
different ASPs provided by MS that use information submitted through a form,
I get either connection errors or ASP syntax errors.  I am not sure how to
fix these problems, since MS makes it sound like the ASPs are ready to run.
I already installed OLAP Client on the web server, and I can browse OLAP
data from the Web server.  I guess I have some connection and syntax
problems I need to correct, but I just don't have sufficient knowledge to
fix them.  I am also a bit confused since the ASPs don't access the database
in the same way ODBC does. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Problems accessing OLAP with Asp pages

Post by Olivier MATRA » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

First thing to make sure is that you've built the required roles in your
cube's security ; if your Web server allows for anonymous logn then you'll
also need to add the IUSR_<machine name> user to your cube's roles

HTH

Olivier.

Quote:> I obtained one test asp from the Microsoft web site that runs an OLAP
query.
> The ASP sits on the Web Server and is able to connect and retrieve cube
data
> from a different server.  However, this ASP has hard coded server,
database
> and query statements.  When I try to achieve the same objective with
> different ASPs provided by MS that use information submitted through a
form,
> I get either connection errors or ASP syntax errors.  I am not sure how to
> fix these problems, since MS makes it sound like the ASPs are ready to
run.
> I already installed OLAP Client on the web server, and I can browse OLAP
> data from the Web server.  I guess I have some connection and syntax
> problems I need to correct, but I just don't have sufficient knowledge to
> fix them.  I am also a bit confused since the ASPs don't access the
database
> in the same way ODBC does. Any suggestions?

> Thanks.

1. Newbie needs code pages for SQL Server 2000 access from asp.net page using vb.net

I am only trying to connect to a local host .
I am on Windows 2000 Server with sql 2000 server.

My error is the classic "SQL server does not exist or access denied"
I went to the MS site & they tell me what I know......"some" permissioning
issue.

I had this code working 2 months ago on a different server but now I cannot
get it going now on a different
machine

I can setup ODBC connections every which way to this local server using
Integrated mode access
using different connectivity methods such as by using "local" or
<machinename> or 127.0.0.1 or  <machine IP address>.  I can also connect
using SQL authentication for user sa or some other new user I created.
So I am not sure about this access denied BS.

I need to connect to Northwind & pubs dbs (the sample dbs that come with sql
2000)
Please post the complete page in (without code behind crap for now).

I went to different sites & they have partial code & they cause different
errors ( I am not a Vb.net guru)

The page I used is something similar to below.

I am just trying to connect & print the server name & SQL version etc

'================
Sub Page_Load(Source As Object, E As EventArgs)

Dim strConnection1 As String = "server=localhost; database=Northwind; " & _

"integrated security=true"

Dim objConnection As New SqlConnection(strConnection)

Dim strSQL As String = "SELECT FirstName, LastName, Country " & _

"FROM Employees;"

Dim objCommand As New SqlCommand(strSQL, objConnection)

objConnection.Open()

Response.Write("ServerVersion: " & objConnection.ServerVersion & _

vbCRLF & "Datasource: " & objConnection.DataSource & _

vbCRLF & "Database: " & objConnection.Database)

dgNameList.DataSource = objCommand.ExecuteReader()

dgNameList.DataBind()

objConnection.Close()

End Sub

'==================

Can someone tell me what is wrong & also ALL the authentication settings
step by step  I need in Windows 2000 server / SQL 2000 server ?
This is just the freaking local machine & server. I cannot believe this is
so hard.
Last time someone in some newsgroup  had me play with registry settings to
make this work
in addition to some other Windows 2000 user changes
(Sorry I did not save it ...did not know this would be so bad)

I would prefer a complete code page that does both Integrated Auth (as
above) and also
SQL auth (using Username / PW).
(I know the actual call is a one or two line code but the exact format
without syntax or other errors is the key)

I don't have VS-7 so I cannot drag & drop the SQL connector control as
someone suggested.

2. DBFLT8 datatypes

3. Problem creating a counter for page views via stored procedures called from an asp page

4. ActiveX Script, Transform Columns to Rows

5. Gauge display using ASP page with OLAP source

6. Delphi: how to fill listbox from field in a table- source code

7. Data Access Pages v ASP in Access 2000

8. CDML: if field is empty, show in browser; otherwise don't

9. Access a remote OLAP / SQL Analysis server from ASP.NET using ADOMD

10. need help with SQL access using ASP Pages

11. How to access SQL Server 6.5 true ODBC from ASP pages

12. Accessing DAO from ASP Page

13. Accessing SQL Server data via ASP pages