Cannot install SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Windows 2000 Professional

Cannot install SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Windows 2000 Professional

Post by Chee-Heon » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 18:58:32

After selecting "SQL Server 2000 Component" link, I got
the following popup error message.
"Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition server
component is not supported on this operating system. Only
client components will be available for installation."

Can anyone give me a clue ? I do not have any old SQL
Server software installed on my notebook, nor SharePoint
Portal or SharePoint Team Services installed.

Appreciate the help.

Cannot install SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition on Windows 2000 Professional

Post by Tibor Karasz » Fri, 09 Nov 2001 19:51:28

The message more or less say it all. SQL Server standard edition requires at least W2K Server.

You could go for Personal Edition (or developer edition) if you want to stick with W2K Pro.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

Quote:> After selecting "SQL Server 2000 Component" link, I got
> the following popup error message.
> "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Standard Edition server
> component is not supported on this operating system. Only
> client components will be available for installation."

> Can anyone give me a clue ? I do not have any old SQL
> Server software installed on my notebook, nor SharePoint
> Portal or SharePoint Team Services installed.

> Appreciate the help.

1. SQL 7 Standard Edition install on Windows 2000 Professional

I had an older machine with Windows 2000 Professional and
was able to install SQL 7 Standard Edition as a desktop
version on that machine after I had it working as a client
on Windows 2000 Server machine.

I'm trying to install it on a newer Windows 2000
Professional machine but only get Client or Server install
options.  I must have figured out how to do it in the past
because the old machine works fine but cannot figure out
how I did it.

Do I need to install it as a client first and then add
Desktop version?  Or it is possible to do at all?

Appreciate any help.

2. Any comprehensive list of picture codes?

3. Can U install SQL Server 7.0 enterprise edition on a windows 2000 Professional machine

4. Difficulty with SHORT MONTHS (Date changes of format)

5. cannot install SQL Server 2000 on Windows XP home edition

6. Documenting tnsnames.ora

7. Unable to Install SQL Server 2000 on windows 2000 Professional

8. Upgrade from 6.5 to 2000

9. Install Problem with SQL Server 2000 on Windows 2000 Professional

10. installing sql 2000 personal edition on same machine as sql 7 standard edition

11. SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition on NT 4 or Windows 2000 Server Edition

12. Urgent!!- Problem installing SQL 2000 Enterprise Edition or Standard Edition

13. SQL 7 / Windows 2000 cannot install Enterprise Edition