Backup and Restore of user database of SQL Server 6.5

Backup and Restore of user database of SQL Server 6.5

Post by Baron » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi at all,
I am using the Support Magic application with a database SQL Server 6.5.
Every user of the application has a login Magic also defined as SQL
login.
I have two SQL 6.5 server : one running , the other empty.
I need to move database from the first to the second :
the tranfer option didn't work so I was able to backup databse,
define a backup device over the second server , copy the *.dat file
over the second server and finnaly I was able to restore succesfully the
db.
In the target server I see the new login in SQL server:
but I was able no more to logon : login INVALID form the application.
Did I make a mistake from SQL prospect ?

new to SQL .

Thanks a lot for your Help !

Bye

Vittorio Baroni

Backup and Restore of user database of SQL Server 6.5

Post by barbar » Thu, 26 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I once did a backup/restore from one server to another one. I had to go in
and reset the passwords.
I guess the passwords were written to another file on the server and not in
a database file.

Quote:> Hi at all,
> I am using the Support Magic application with a database SQL Server 6.5.
> Every user of the application has a login Magic also defined as SQL
> login.
> I have two SQL 6.5 server : one running , the other empty.
> I need to move database from the first to the second :
> the tranfer option didn't work so I was able to backup databse,
> define a backup device over the second server , copy the *.dat file
> over the second server and finnaly I was able to restore succesfully the
> db.
> In the target server I see the new login in SQL server:
> but I was able no more to logon : login INVALID form the application.
> Did I make a mistake from SQL prospect ?

> new to SQL .

> Thanks a lot for your Help !

> Bye

> Vittorio Baroni

Backup and Restore of user database of SQL Server 6.5

Post by vero » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Vittorio Baroni,

If you want to keep your old password, i did
1.- built script to the sysuser tables and syslogins,
2.- save it into a file.
3.- built and other to script into the new database to insert all of
them.

This is because on sql 6.5 it matters the order you put them.
I hope Helps

Veronica

Quote:> Hi at all,

--
Vero

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Veritas backup and restore sql-server 6.5 databases

Anyone successfully using Veritas NetBackup 3.11 for backup and restores of
SQL Server?

We are having a problem with restoring databases.  We are unsuccessful
restoring a database in a  disaster recovery test scenario.  That means the
server crashes and we have to rebuild it using the Veritas backup data. The
documentation for the SQL server NetBackup client is not very good.  Veritas
tech support has been unable to assist us.  Anyone having similar
difficulties?

--
Elden

2. creating tables from SP

3. How to restore SQL server 6.5 backup to SQL server 2000

4. Using Alias' for Servers in Stored Procedures

5. SQL Server 6.5 backup file to restore into SQL Server 7

6. What this error means?

7. Veritas backup and restore sql-server 6.5 databases

8. DRIVER ODBC :PLEASE HELP !

9. restoring sql server 6.5 databases without backup device files

10. SQL 6.5 Database Backup and restore to SQL 2000

11. Restore SQL Server 6.5 database to SQL Server 7.0

12. Restoring 6.5 backup to 7.0 w/o 6.5 Server

13. Restore / Rebuild SQL 6.5 Database from Flat File Backup