floating point errors

Post by Andr » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 20:09:12

In the last couple of weeks, I've started having more and more issues with
floating point errors.  I've NEVER had this error before, in any system I've
worked on (12 years and counting...).  Why would it start all of the sudden?
Is there something in our data that's causing it to happen?  I posted a
question with some DDL a couple of weeks ago but got sidetracked and never
followed up on that particular occurrence.

However, since I had a scheduled task fail last night, I think it's time to
try to understand why this is happening.  The job that failed last night
gave me this error:
Executed as user: svc_sql. A floating point exception occurred in the user
process. Current transaction is canceled. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3628)
[SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7312).  The step failed.

What I was trying to do is something that I do every night, and have for
several months.  I restore our LIVE db, truncate several tables, shrink the
db, detach it, copy it to our DEV server, then re-attach it.

I'm baffled as to why it would have worked so well for so long, then failed
with a floating point error last night.  We've been bit by this same bug
several times recently, both in scheduled tasks and also in proc calls.

Any assistance in understanding, and hopefully resolving this, is
appreciated.

Andre

floating point errors

Post by Tibor Karasz » Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:13:30

Perhaps you have changed locale on the machine and so a decimal value somehow is represented
with a comma instead of point. Pretty far-fetched, though...

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> In the last couple of weeks, I've started having more and more issues with
> floating point errors.  I've NEVER had this error before, in any system I've
> worked on (12 years and counting...).  Why would it start all of the sudden?
> Is there something in our data that's causing it to happen?  I posted a
> question with some DDL a couple of weeks ago but got sidetracked and never
> followed up on that particular occurrence.

> However, since I had a scheduled task fail last night, I think it's time to
> try to understand why this is happening.  The job that failed last night
> gave me this error:
> Executed as user: svc_sql. A floating point exception occurred in the user
> process. Current transaction is canceled. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3628)
> [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7312).  The step failed.

> What I was trying to do is something that I do every night, and have for
> several months.  I restore our LIVE db, truncate several tables, shrink the
> db, detach it, copy it to our DEV server, then re-attach it.

> I'm baffled as to why it would have worked so well for so long, then failed
> with a floating point error last night.  We've been bit by this same bug
> several times recently, both in scheduled tasks and also in proc calls.

> Any assistance in understanding, and hopefully resolving this, is
> appreciated.

> Andre

floating point errors

Post by Andr » Tue, 26 Nov 2002 19:06:52

I just checked to confirm, and all my server's locale setting are still the
same as they've always been.  I appreciate the response though.

Andre

Quote:> Perhaps you have changed locale on the machine and so a decimal value

somehow is represented
Quote:> with a comma instead of point. Pretty far-fetched, though...

> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Archive at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sql...

Quote:> > In the last couple of weeks, I've started having more and more issues
with
> > floating point errors.  I've NEVER had this error before, in any system
I've
> > worked on (12 years and counting...).  Why would it start all of the
sudden?
> > Is there something in our data that's causing it to happen?  I posted a
> > question with some DDL a couple of weeks ago but got sidetracked and
never
> > followed up on that particular occurrence.

> > However, since I had a scheduled task fail last night, I think it's time
> > try to understand why this is happening.  The job that failed last night
> > gave me this error:
> > Executed as user: svc_sql. A floating point exception occurred in the
user
> > process. Current transaction is canceled. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3628)
> > [SQLSTATE 01000] (Error 7312).  The step failed.

> > What I was trying to do is something that I do every night, and have for
> > several months.  I restore our LIVE db, truncate several tables, shrink
the
> > db, detach it, copy it to our DEV server, then re-attach it.

> > I'm baffled as to why it would have worked so well for so long, then
failed
> > with a floating point error last night.  We've been bit by this same bug
> > several times recently, both in scheduled tasks and also in proc calls.

> > Any assistance in understanding, and hopefully resolving this, is
> > appreciated.

> > Andre

1. Writeback Error - floating point error

I have been playing around with the OLAP writeback code
on MSDN that illustrates using a pivot table for data
entry.  The example uses the EQUAL_ALLOCATION method of
the UPDATE_CUBE statement.  This always works fine.

I am interested in using the weighted average allocation
method, but am getting some inconsistent errors.  I think
the error has to do with null values in the pivot table
(i.e. when a writeback goes back against a set of values
including a null value).

The error results in a -1.#IND value in the cell and
basically craps everything out.  When I go to the source
data in the writeback cube, I cannot delete the bogus
entries.  SQL tells me there is a "floating point
error".  I basically have to nume the whole cube and
start over.

How do I avoid this error?  I want to use the weighted
average method (i.e. use existing seasonality, etc.).
Can you initialize the null values with a zero value
first??

Help!

Thanks

2. Installing SQLServer 7.0 on RAID Array

3. Floating Point Errors - ODBC3.5/SQL SVR6.5

4. RUNSTATS

5. floating point error

6. Handling locks for UPDATEs in APT-SQL

7. A floating point error has occured...

8. error in query analyzer

9. Floating Point Error from Parent Level Writeback

10. floating point error

11. Weard floating point error...

12. Floating Point Error

13. TQuery error: Invalid floating point operation???