Database Diagram Relationships Disappear

Database Diagram Relationships Disappear

Post by deni » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:50:02

Does anyone know why this happens?  I create a database diagram with
all relationships displayed, save it, a few days or so later, come
back into the diagram and the relationships are gone.

Database Diagram Relationships Disappear

Post by BP Margoli » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 06:57:39

Denise,

Database diagrams are saved to the msdb database, so is there a chance that
either someone is restoring old copies of the msdb database, or that someone
is "playing around" in the msdb database.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> Does anyone know why this happens?  I create a database diagram with
> all relationships displayed, save it, a few days or so later, come
> back into the diagram and the relationships are gone.

Database Diagram Relationships Disappear

Post by denise william » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 07:15:33

I always save the diagram.  I do not think anyone is deleting the
relationships.  The diagram is still there, the relationships are not.
It is really strange.

Database Diagram Relationships Disappear

Post by BP Margoli » Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:02:30

Denise,

The diagram is a "live" reflection of the database. If the relationships are
deleted in the database, then they will disappear from the diagram.

For example, if someone is changing a table schema, and to do so has to drop
a table, then the associated PK / FK relationship is broken, and will
**automatically** disappear from the diagram.

The diagram does not exist "independently" of the database of which it is a
model.

BP Margolin
Please reply only to the newsgroups.

Quote:> I always save the diagram.  I do not think anyone is deleting the
> relationships.  The diagram is still there, the relationships are not.
> It is really strange.

1. Relationships disappear in diagrams

Everyonce in a while the relationship in the diagrams disappear for no know
reason. I have had this problem a number of times. In fact this is the
second database where I have seen it happen.

Is this a know bug or is there a way to solve this problem?

I have SQL Server 2000 with SP2.

Eric

2. Only prints when I quit FoxProMac 2.5

3. Database relationship diagrams

4. Error - inconsistent metadata

5. Visual Relationships in Database Diagram

6. Register a "server" on a standalone PC ??

7. Exporting SQL Database Relationship diagram

8. Containers and transaction logs

9. Cross database relationship - Diagram or trigger?

10. Entity Relationship Diagram - database design problem

11. Diagrams of Relationships among Different database

12. MS Northwind database Entity relationship diagram,

13. My diagrams keep disappearing