Connecting server through sql auth

Post by ahme » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 10:34:34

hi,
i have a client application that connects microsoft sql server 2000 thru sql
server authentication. but when i disable guest account on the server,
clients(win98) cannot establish connection to the server so i'm a little
confused that why clients need windows authentication altough i'm using sql
auth(user:sa/pass:blank ). or am i missing something? isn't it possible to
establish connection without windows auth., without enabling guest account?
thanks

Connecting server through sql auth

Post by Tibor Karasz » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 11:06:49

The w98 client is probably configured to use the Named Piped netlib. Check using "Client Network
Utility" on the client. Named pipes need access to the IPC$ share. TCP/IP Winsockets doesn't.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP

> hi,
> i have a client application that connects microsoft sql server 2000 thru sql
> server authentication. but when i disable guest account on the server,
> clients(win98) cannot establish connection to the server so i'm a little
> confused that why clients need windows authentication altough i'm using sql
> auth(user:sa/pass:blank ). or am i missing something? isn't it possible to
> establish connection without windows auth., without enabling guest account?
> thanks

1. NT auth works, SQL Server auth doesn't

I can connect to my SQL Server if I use NT authentication, but when I switch
to SQL Server authentication in the System DSN I get an error that the user
isn't associated with a trusted connection.  When I go to the server,
though, the user ID has been added as a Login, with System Administrator
privileges and owner rights to the databases.  Is there something else that
must be done to make a user "trusted"?

2. D3's what and how many

3. 3COM Total control Radius Auth server - SQL server

4. TX-DALLAS-57556--Client/Server-Internet-Intranet-Communication Skills-Presentati

5. Connection to SQL server having NT auth

6. problems with pg_dumplo (was Re: backup with blobs)

7. SQL Server 7.0 - Security - NT Auth.

8. SP3 upgrade still says sp2

9. Connecting Win95 without MS Network client / domain auth.

10. Can't connect via TCP/IP + NT Auth after hotfix install

11. Using NT Auth when not connected to domain

12. Problem connecting one SQL Server server to another SQL Server server

13. kerberos auth. connecting database with kerberos ticket