Upsizing work around?

Post by Tareq Abdee » Sat, 17 Mar 2001 20:09:49

I read in the upsizing instructions that Crosstab, Action with parameters
queries, nested queries, DDL, Union and queries that reference values from
forms, are not upsizeable.

  What are the work around for each one of those queries??

Thanks a ton ...

T.A.

Upsizing work around?

Post by Mary Chipma » Sun, 18 Mar 2001 22:16:03

The reason they're not upsizable is because those features are either
not supported in SQL Server, or they're done differently. All action
queries and some SELECT queries are best re-written as stored
procedures or for some SELECT queries, UDF's (SQL 2000) only. A good
book on T-SQL helps -- I like Ken Henderson's "Guru's Guide to
Transact-SQL". Also, start* out on the SQL Server newsgroups
and grab the SQL FAQ -- http://www.veryComputer.com/
The learning curve is quite steep--Jet and SQL Server are *not*
interchangeable.

FWIW, the upwiz does a lousy job upsizing. you're better off learning
about SQL Server, doing the schema manually, and then loading the
data.

-- Mary
Microsoft Access Developer's Guide to SQL Server
http://www.veryComputer.com/

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:09:49 -0000, "Tareq Abdeen"

>I read in the upsizing instructions that Crosstab, Action with parameters
>queries, nested queries, DDL, Union and queries that reference values from
>forms, are not upsizeable.

>  What are the work around for each one of those queries??

>Thanks a ton ...

>T.A.

Upsizing work around?

Post by Ted McNea » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:57:44

Tareq,

To add to Mary's comments, I suggest using DTS to import the table
structure.  This will give you the tables w/o the relationships, indexes,
etc.  You can then cleanup the structure and reassemble the table
relationships.  This strikes a good balance attemping a full upsize and
total redevelopment.

The caviot is that you must have the SQL Server client side tools to easily
use DTS.

Mary didn't mention it but her book would be an exellent place to start.

Ted McNeal